Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bit of help regarding "de-fragging" and re-installation

• Please log in to reply

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello to all.

I have found out through the anti-spyware process on this forum that my copy of XP is not genuine. Could this be the reason for my problems with spyware? Either way I'll be purchasing the genuine program asap as I don't want Bill Gates knocking on my door and throwing me in prison for fraud.

A friend told me that when viruses or spyware take hold of your pc sometimes you need to "de-frag" it and re-install all hardware. As I am a bit naive to computers and the systems that run them could anyone give me some advice on what to do.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
When you recieve your new copy of windows, boot from the cd, and format the hard drive completely. That is a part of the install process.

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for the reply.
Can I copy any of my existing files or programs to a disc and re-install them without risking transferring any spyware or viruses or is it better to start afresh?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you get your legal copy of xp you wont have to format and reinstall...you CAN if you want to just be sure that you don't have any spyware or viruses on your computer

if you don't want to start from scratch..you can just do a repair install..which will ask for the cdkey..you put the new cdkey i n and you're good to go...data files will stay intact as well as the programs you have installed....alternately there is software that will let you change the cdkey but i don't know of any specifics off hand...sorry

if you are wanting to just format and start over...you can back up your data files (documents and images) b ut you wont be able to backup your programs..there are a few ways to do this: you could burn the files to cd or dvd, you could buy an external hard drive and back the files up that way...or you could remove the HD from the computer and hook it up to a different computer and get the files off that way

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thats great. Thanks for your time and help.