Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Urgent Help

• Please log in to reply

ruthye

ruthye

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi

I have try to perform disk clean up, but when the box opens it has 2 red blocks, and thats it, yesterday I leave for 3 hours and when came back was the same. then I try the defrag and is freeze too. my computer is more slower than a snail. it tooks from 10 to 12 minutes to do a command. I ask for help in microsoft and this was the response I got:

Subject: Re: Problems with xp features BIG</SPAN>

8/1/2006 6:55 AM PST

By:

Ted Zieglar

In:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain

Carmen...I don't mean to be rude...you're in over your head. Now is the time to bring your computer to a professional. End the wild goose chase. When your computer is back in working order, buy a book on using Windows XP and take it nice and slow. ---Ted Zieglar"Backup is a computer user's best friend." Carmen wrote:> HI> My problem is that the Disk clean up have 2 green blocks and won't work, > system defrag neither. my computer is slow like a snail. when I click in any > windows features it tooks about 10 to 12 minutes to open, I', not kidding. > the updates has download things that I don't have an idea whatt they are or or > how they install by themself. I try a restore point I made when I install > everything cause I reformat. and it was with all updates. but it stay the > same , yesterday I click the clean disk and the box opens with this two green > boxes like when its working normal, well I let the box for 2 hours and it was > the same when I check back, I leave two hours thinking well maybe it has a > lot to analize, but nope, nothing. I try an online scanner it downloads some > (a lot) files it saids need to do for the program works. since this downloads > all my programs when nuts. I don't recall the name but is recomended by > microsoft. I even try the start.run.RFC/scannow/ and its saids the RFC is not > installed???? I do a c:/properties.tools checkdisk and it runs normal. I know know > my computer is slow because I can't do the clean disk. please help me. > thanks in advanceŘ Carmen

I do need to fix this , I download and try this programs and one of them put about 45 things to delete including windows installer and all index from folders. so I can't do that.

1, Register Booster this one goes fine until you click start, it shows a penpal order lol and it was said is free.

2.Gen Disk Clean up this one is the one that erase all kind of index in the system.

3. EFRCsell.exe this one said is free, until you hit ok it shows how to but it to do the task .

Do I need to reinstall OS, or look for a disk clean up that won't cost a fortune.? or someone have the great idea oon how to fix this. thanks a lot

Ruthye

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Skip disc clean up until you can use the tune up one

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

ruthye

ruthye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi Keith

Good Afternoon

I'll try that now and let you know what happen.

thanks a lot for your help

Ruthye

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

ruthye

ruthye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi Keith Good evening

I try your instructions but, I did the prefetch and delete all in that folder. in the second step, lol the clean disk didn't even show the box it uses. then I try the defrag and nope not there, I run sfc/scannow and this message pops upthe instruction at "ox73dd1351 referenced memory at "0xoooodd4'. the memory could not be read alldata not found. lol click ok to terminate this program. then the monitor goes in black for 1/2 hour, then I shut down and restart , then about 5 programs opens at the same time. (nuts). well I download the tune up 2006 trial, it downloads two things one a yellow one that saids Tune up utilities 2006 and other that said I don't remember but you click in any of them and it shows the same box that said trial version reminder order now enter key and keep testing, did not have what you tell me to click no options I click in keep testing and it opens a box runing numbers like crazy, and with no choise to run disk clean up or tune up registry clean up. I cant optimize cause the box don't have any choise at all only buy enter key and keep testing it found 22 missing type libraries in programs, and in registry shows that it has 66 missing HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dcs and 66 numbers in line one after the other, it has a button that said repair I click it and it said no problem now, restart your computer, I did and run again and it shows the same programs and registry missing, and I clcik again repair, I did this four times and the last time stay the same. so I can't optimize or improve anything. I go to accesorries and click in disk clean up and the monitor turn blue with a lot of white letter saying if this is your first time seeing this restart your computer if not bla bla bla, then I restart in safe mode. It shows the configuration pannel where the normal or safe mode are and the boot.ini. I click normal and it run like normal. then this is so funny the virus scan pop up saying my disk have a troyan, ok I send the disk to the garbage, and I put other one and the same again at the 5th time I put a clean disk without format, just take it from the box and inserted and the antivirus pop up saying my disk have a troyan, all the disk have the same troyan. I can't open any program nothing works. so my only option was reformat the hard disk. and now there are 65 updates to download tomorrow. see the computers do got nuts sometimes. so sorry to bother you, but thanks a lot for the help. I just gonna look for a good firewall that don't erase my graphics like the one fron SP2. and install it.

well this is it for now the storm is close cause the windows are shaking. yep a storm , I live in Puerto Rico. I just hope this pass fast.

have a great night and thanks a lot :whistling:

Ruthye

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if you need a cleaner heres one

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try this before formatting, (in future)

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Have a look at this for a firewall

http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/

ruthye

ruthye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi Keith Good Night

I sign in and it said the scan report will be in my correpondence. but I got a question ,I mean 3.lol Do I need to download anything? is that the firewall? I don't have to install anything?. too much questions I know. lol

thanks a lot for your patience and help. is greatly apreciated. :whistling:

Ruthye

You can try this before formatting, (in future)

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Have a look at this for a firewall

http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/

ruthye

ruthye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi

I bookmark the page and download their logo to link from my website. but is funny it said click here to get the HTLM code and you click and it opens the same page without any HTML. so I copy the link to linked from my site. thanks a lot

Ruthye

if you need a cleaner heres one

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need to click the link, download the file, they send you the license key in the e-mail, you install the file and enter the license key

ruthye

ruthye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
OH Boy you are going to knock me off. I sign in ,I receive a welcome email and a message with the confirmation number I entered. but I did not download anything, and it saids your report is ready and show this

Report Summary

Audit started:2006-08-03 23:31:48Audit finished:2006-08-03 23:53:17Audit time:00:21:28
Count of hosts which were audited:1Count of security holes found:0Count of security warnings found:4Count of security infos found:0 List of audited hosts:
  • Host 64.237.160.223 has:
  • 4 security warnings
View Report By
IP Address View All 64.237.160.223 Severity All Warnings Vulnerability All

so now what I have to do to see the warnings cause it doesn't have a place to do it

see I knew it you want to knock me down.lol if you want I send you a PM with the name and password and you check and tell me if is ok with you.

waiting your reply.

Ruthye

You need to click the link, download the file, they send you the license key in the e-mail, you install the file and enter the license key

Advertisements

ruthye

ruthye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

OH Boy you are going to knock me off. I sign in ,I receive a welcome email and a message with the confirmation number I entered. but I did not download anything, and it saids your report is ready and show this

Report Summary

Audit started:2006-08-03 23:31:48Audit finished:2006-08-03 23:53:17Audit time:00:21:28
Count of hosts which were audited:1Count of security holes found:0Count of security warnings found:4Count of security infos found:0 List of audited hosts:
  • Host 64.237.160.223 has:
  • 4 security warnings
View Report By
IP Address View All 64.237.160.223 Severity All Warnings Vulnerability All
List of vulnerabilities found :

Posted Image top

Posted Image Security warning found on port/service "telnet (23/tcp)"
Synopsis : A telnet server is listening on the remote port Description : The remote host is running a telnet server. Using telnet is not recommended as logins, passwords and commands are transferred in clear text. An attacker may eavesdrop on a telnet session and obtain the credentials of other users.

Posted Image Solution : Disable this service and use SSH instead

Posted Image Risk factor : Medium / CVSS Base Score : 4 (AV:R/AC:L/Au:NR/C:P/A:N/I:N/B:C) Plugin output: Remote telnet banner: Username : Posted Image top
Posted Image Security warning found on port/service "telnet (23/tcp)"
A telnet server seems to be running on this port Posted Image top
Posted Image Security warning found on port/service "http (80/tcp)"
A web server is running on this port Posted Image top
Posted Image Security warning found on port/service "http (80/tcp)"
It seems that your web server tries to hide its version or name, which is a good thing. However, using a special crafted request, Nessus was able to determine that is is running : Speed Touch WebServer/1.0

Posted Image Risk factor : None

Posted Image Solution : Fix your configuration. Posted Image <A href="https://www.hackergu...?id=24556#">top
??????????????

Ruthye

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which programme is giving you those warnings

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is the file you need to download and install for the Comodo firewall

http://www7.spread-i...e9a33e18a78ebcf

ruthye

ruthye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
yep me again

for your first question its give the same warning to the IP number

the second Im downloading the file what should I do. run it for installation then go to hacker guardian again?

Im lost here believe me Im not that silly. lol but this is new for me. oh the file Im downloading , is that the firewall?

cause this is the only thing I have download today.

if you get sick of my questions let me know so I can ask more until you explote. :whistling:

Ruthye

This is the file you need to download and install for the Comodo firewall

http://www7.spread-i...e9a33e18a78ebcf

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's the file for the firewall, install it when it downloads, did you get a license key by e-mail from Comodo