Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing Space on partition

• Please log in to reply

urapxfzy421

urapxfzy421

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When i re-installed windows on my computer i partitioned my main hard-drive to give a 5G space for the operating system, and i was hoping to have programs and other things installed on the 75(aprox) Gigs that would remain since it is an 80G hard drive. Unfortunately some programs refuse to install onto the new program files folder that i created on the second partition despite my use of TweakUI to change the program files folder. As annoying as this is to me, i can live with it, what i can't live with is this: On the 5G parition, if i look at the individual folder sizes, it adds up to about 1.75 Gigs, but it says i only have like 500mb of free space left. Where is this space going. I have run disk clean-up and all of that stuff. Its a relatively new installation, so i dont see y there wld be lots of hidden files or anything. I'm also wondering, is there anyway to expand the size of a partition without reformating the whole drive?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
XP installed on a computer is somewhere around 2.5 to 3 gigs in size. I will bet you do not have "show hidden files and folders" checked in your display settings. When i partition a HD i give the OS system partition a minimum of 10 gigs of space. Even this will not be enough with certain programs. Pinnacle video editing software can be over 5 gig's in size so that and XP will give you no room for any other programs. I now give any XP install a partition of at least 15 gigs in size because i like to keep the installed programs on the same partition as the OS.

SRX660

urapxfzy421

urapxfzy421

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I actually do have the view hidden files radio selected, but it still only shows the folder as 1.13G, is there any way to expand the partition? I chose 5 because on a dell computer that i have that came with a partition already on it, the partition is only 5G.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Dunno if they changed their approach, but Dell isnt into putting windows on a 5 gig partition... Did you buy this dell second hand?

urapxfzy421

urapxfzy421

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No i bought the dell new, but the partition isn't the kind of partition where it shows up as two drives on the computer, it only shows up as a seperate partition if u go into storage management in the computer management tool.