Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

word document/disk nightmare

• Please log in to reply

blaise78

blaise78

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,
As usual, i'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this but I never know the appropriate one so feel free to point me in the right direction. Basically, I wrote a word doc on my laptop yesterday but didn't save it there on the hard drive. I e-mailed it to my hotmail a/c. Then, today I opened it at uni on a uni comp and wrote some more and saved it to a floppy (not on the uni hard drive). I've just opened it at home on my desktop, as my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, and (a) it takes an age to open the doc, and (b) most of what I wrote today is missing and there's loads of symbols and squares etc where the text should be.
Does this mean my stuff from today (which was very important) is irretrievably lost? Is it the disk that's knackered? It's a fairly old one but I've not had probs with it up to now.
Any help retrieving it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
I would suspect that there may be a font missing on your desktop or you are using an older version of Word on your home computer. Loading from floppies tend to take a little time, and if the program is having a problem reading the format it may go slow. Have you tried highlighting the text and converting it to another font to see if that is the problem? Also, have you tried going to the uni computer to see if it works ok there?