Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

securing a wireless LAN

• Please log in to reply

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
If you are looking for methods to secure a wireless LAN, read here what you can skip:

The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN
Posted by George Ou

http://blogs.zdnet.c.../index.php?p=43

It also has a link to some usefull tips.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
SANITARIUM!!!!!!!!!!!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Thanks for posting that link, Pieter. I'm a newbie at networking, but it's becoming so common that I need to learn all I can.

I can take my laptop with its card for my router and go all over my neighborhood, piggybacking on other people's unsecured home networks. I actually knocked on a neighbor's door and offered to secure their network and was told, "Nah, there's nothing impotant on the computer anyway." That family completely missed the point. I'm reasonably sure that my own home network is secure, because noahdfear set it up for me. I doubt there is anyone but him within 50 miles who is savvy enough to hack into it, but hey, there's nothing important on the computer, anyway. LOL

Johanna

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Great link, better band but great link. My company has instituted a NO WIRELESS policy anywhere on the grounds. Pretty good, and makes it easier for me as an administrator. We developed a software program that detects network conne http://www.geekstogo...ages/strike.gif
Strikethroughctions. If you plug a network cable into a laptop it disables the wireless card immediatley. This way no one can find any way in. War driving and war chalking is a big threat. I too have gone around and informed people of their ability to share their wireless networks with the neighborhood and I always get, "Ok, I dont know, my cable provider hooked it up, I paid extra for them to secure it."

Blind reliance on the corporate machine. :whistling:

Edited by dsenette, 01 August 2006 - 01:11 PM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I recently set up a wireless network at home. When I turned on the software to select the connection, I noticed 5 available networks with a reception better then 60%
3 of them could be accessed without entering any keys. Worse then that, the software logged in automatically on one of them untill I disabled the option to do that.

PS Our company has the same policy as jaxisland's. But I was surprised to see that this problem was still very much alive. I did a Dutch article about it over 4 years ago.
Some links I used back then are mentioned here:
http://www.wildersse...read.php?t=3818