Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Group Policy

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Is there a way to control services with group policy with server 2003 std edition in a xp domain?

Thanks

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Let me add a little bit here. Under Computer Config -> Admin Temp -> Network Conn -> Windows Firewall -> Standard/Domain Profile I have set the Protect All Connections to Disabled.

Now I have like 3-5 computers in which their firewall keeps turning on. Sometimes you can go in and shut it off but mostly it is grayed out, like it should be. It says on the top that the setting was set by Group Policy and cannot be changed, but the radio button is set to on. I ran gpupdate/force and it set it back to off.

I also checked the Event Viewer and it says tht all Group Policy settings were successful with a timestamp of when he logged on this morning. He has not logged off or restarted his computer all day. He does Lock it but not log off.

My question is how can this keep getting overrided and changed even with the options grayed out?

Thanks for any ideas.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so far i haven't ever had a problem out of that particular GP setting....but...before i actually found that setting i was using a batch file to disable the firewall.
netsh firewall set opmode mode = disable profile = all

that basically set's the same thing as the GP...but it may make a difference it could be run as a startup script...

still would be best to know why that GP is failing...do you have the setting in a group policy by itself or mixed in with other policies?
try making just a "firewall off" group policy with JUST that setting and see if you can find an error with the execution

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
This setting is grouped together with other standard settings. In the next day or two I will try and pull it out by itself and see what happens. As for now I will just keep watching.

Thanks for the help.