Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive

• Please log in to reply

port_City

port_City

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was thinking about getting a harddrive from newegg.com but how do I know if my computer support the harddrive im trying to get? And how do I know if my computer can handle more then one harddrive? Is there a certain thing I get to connect multiple harddrives to my computer or there should already be spots for it. I need to know because when I get my brand new harddrive I dont want to go to the shop and they charge me $60 for something I could of done.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...if it's a sata drive you need to know if your computer has sata controllers...if it's an ide drive...well then your computer has those connections... depending on the age of your computer you may have to update the bios if it's a large drive..

we'd be able to answer your questions better with the system specs of your computer and maybe the drive you're wanting to buy

port_City

port_City

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

well...if it's a sata drive you need to know if your computer has sata controllers...if it's an ide drive...well then your computer has those connections... depending on the age of your computer you may have to update the bios if it's a large drive..

we'd be able to answer your questions better with the system specs of your computer and maybe the drive you're wanting to buy

I know but I dont know a way to get my system specs. And this is the harddrive I was going to get http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822152020 . Any programs I can download that'll tell me my system specs?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....that's a sata drive...so we'll need to know if your motherboard has a sata connection...what make and model is this computer (such as dell inspiron..or whatever)

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
most Hard Drives these days will be compatible these days as long as their SATA and use an IDE cable. a good drive runs at 7,200 RPM. outdated drives are set for 5400 RPM. better more expensive drives run at 10k+ RPM

on a normal motherboard you can normally add up to 2 hard drives. with IDE you can add 2 disc drives, and 2 Hard Drives. to add any more than that requires RAID.

here is an example of the RAID card required to add extra drives:

IDE RAID Card

feel free to ask me if you have any other questions, or correct me if im wrong :-)

port_City

port_City

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sorry I dont know much about computers lol. I think the motherboard is a AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+ ... Well atleast thats what it says when I right click on my computer and go to properties :whistling:

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
ok im wrong about SATA... that hard drive that your looking at does not support IDE.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
port...was this computer custom built or did you buy it from a company like compaq or dell or something like that?

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Sorry I dont know much about computers lol. I think the motherboard is a AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+ ... Well atleast thats what it says when I right click on my computer and go to properties :whistling:

that is your CPU (Central Processing Unit). the Motherboard is the board that the CPU attaches to, its the central board for all your cards such as memory, video, sound, network etc. if you look on the board itself, sometimes it has the manufacturer's name printed on it, and we can at least work from there.

port_City

port_City

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yea I thought I was wrong....Where I go to find out whats my motherboard?

Advertisements

port_City

port_City

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

port...was this computer custom built or did you buy it from a company like compaq or dell or something like that?

custom

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wolverine...could you take a step back for just a second? the both of us being here is kind of making this difficult...

let's try to find out what kind of computer this is so we can accurately help

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Download Everest from this link :
http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

Run everest then click on the Report menu. Select Report Wizard, then select Hardware Related pages. Create the report as a TXT file (if this option is available). When its finished compiling, save the report & then attach it with your next post.:

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

wolverine...could you take a step back for just a second? the both of us being here is kind of making this difficult...

let's try to find out what kind of computer this is so we can accurately help

aye sorry.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
:whistling: wolverine as soon as we find out the motherboard model...you can post whatever you like here in this thread