Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook in continuous reboot loop

• Please log in to reply

bLuE_oMeGa

bLuE_oMeGa

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

I'm currently working on a friend's portable (Acer Travelmate 291LCi to be exact). The problem is that this system simply shuts down and starts to reboot after no specific time frame. My friend already got the MB changed under warranty (so acer claims), but the problem re-occurs. Now, the portable is under my care and I've already cleaned it out completely, changed the cpu cooling gel which was in need of a replacement. I then was able to get into the system and work for about 10 minz, but then it failed on me.
I then took a harder look on the RAM (2x256Mb), and tried to boot it up, just using one piece, but that didn't do much good. I haven't tried fresh RAM yet, since I just got the system :blink:

The current situation is that I can boot it up, get into windows, work for some time (15 minz max!) and then the rebootingprocess starts. Any ideas? :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It still sounds like a overheating problem. I had a toshiba laptop doing that. One day i sat it on my lap and the bottom of the laptop was so hot i could'nt hardly touch it. I tore the laptop apart and found the northbridge chipset was getting very hot and had no cooling. I never fixed the problem and sold it to a friend who knew about it( guess he could'nt resist the great deal). Those tiny 30 mm fans on the laptops will never cool them properly.

SRX660

bLuE_oMeGa

bLuE_oMeGa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
hmm, overheating. That was going to be one of my next guesses. Any thoughts on how to tweak the portable? I' m going to try to get it running with the top uncovered in a staticfree environment. If it keeps working fine that way, it'll be the overheating issue ...

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
dont they have fans that latch on to ur laptop?

bLuE_oMeGa

bLuE_oMeGa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
OK, current update. I have placed the portable on two ice packages wrapped in kitchen towels to keep the cpu from overheating. Then I uncovered the cpu fan and booted up the portable. The problem is that the cpu fan doesn't kick in after the BIOS check. The first minute or so, the fan spins like it should be spinning, but then it stops. I already tried connecting another fan, but that one didn't spin either :s I hope it isn't the connector of the fan to the mainboard. Guess I have some measuring cut out for me :whistling: