Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc constant restarting

• Please log in to reply

Cate_Archer

Cate_Archer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've posted here before, but I'm seriously at a loss to do. My pc is always so rediculously overheated, and I've download a program and it gave me information that said my pc was at 72 degrees celcius and counting! AND ITS NOT EVEN HOT IN THE ROOM I'M IN!

My pc always retarts and gives me some blue screen error after, and when I try to run games like www.gunzonline.com it shuts down the game and or restarts, or freezes and I have to force restart by holding by power button. Same with FFXI it restarted also. Even when I'm not playing games, I'll be browsing the web, listening to some music you know, and BOOM unexpected restart! It shuts down programs and gives me errors when I start up like, "pc has recovered from a very serious issue" or whatever I don't remember.

Thing is this usually only happands in the summer, and unless its STARK FINGER FREEZING COLD it won't do that I'm talking winter its just ice cube cold outside. I'm thinking, I've had my pc for so long, maybe I should look inside and see if theirs dust in there thats making it harder to run? I dunno.

And if my pc was Normal, then it would run my games fine because I have Nvidia or whatever graphics card, Geforce and it works fine when the pc isn't SO HOT and restarting all the time. HELP!!!!

If I need to clean it inside, can someone show me a guide on how to do so??? If you even THINK thats the problem, or it might be a possiblity it'll be much obliged.

Edited by Cate_Archer, 01 August 2006 - 05:27 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the programme you installed give the speed of any fans

Have you opened a PC case before

Cate_Archer

Cate_Archer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a program called SpeedFan, if thats what you mean. And no I haven't opened a pc case before.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this the type you have?

http://www.helpwithp...case-covers.htm

Cate_Archer

Cate_Archer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is the essential bit, remove the plug from the mains

Safety First Before opening the case of your PC disconnect the power supply, it is also advisable to unplug anything else from the computer including any network connections.

If you have an anti-static strap then wear it throughout the installation process, if one is not available then touch a metal part of the case to discharge any static before touching any static sensitive devices (memory, video cards, modems, etc).

Once the case is open, use a torch to see if you can spot any dust, if you can see the fans clearly, check the wiring is tight

Remove any dust, if you use any form of compressed air, hold the fan blades so the air doesn't make them spin beyond their limit

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If I were you, I would do all my back ups in the event something goes wrong.

Cleaning out the dust is a good idea. You can get a can of compressed air (which blows the dirt around) or you can do it with a soft rag or Q-tips etc.
Turn off the computer and PULL THE PLUG.
Open her up.
When you go to clean the fans, do not "twirl" them. Use a pencil to hold the blades steady while you clean off the crud. There will be stuff underneath the fans, too, especially on the processor, which is probably what is overheating and causing the blue screens and shutdowns. It is fairly simple and inexpensive to change fans- all you need is about $7 and a screwdriver, but be careful if you decide to remove the old one.

When you are through, before you replace the side of the case, boot the computer and observe the fans. Make sure they are running properly.

If you want to shut off the auto reboot, Control Panel> System>Advanced> Start Up and Recovery> Settings and untick "restart comp".

Johanna
(Keith- not trying to butt in, just know you live on the other side of the planet and figured I'd save you some typing)
Never mind...you were already. Sigh. Next?

Cate_Archer

Cate_Archer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
k, I did all that, cleaned out my fan and it was CLOGGED with dirt, and now my temperature stays at a constant 46-48 degrees. and btw, I LONG AGO did the

Control Panel> System>Advanced> Start Up and Recovery> Settings and unselect "automatic restart",

and I thought it'd solve the problem but it didn't, it restarted anyway but instead of going straight to log in screen it went to blue screen and gave me all these errors.

Thanks for the help you guys. I posted on like five forums but geeks to go replied to me within 10 minutes!!! :whistling: definitely going to geek to go when I have problems.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you can report the blue screen errors, we might be able to solve the problem. (Hint- if you don't want to write them with an old fashioned pen, take a digital pic of the screen and post it.) Dropping 30 degrees C is a good sign of progress, though. I leave my main comp on most of the time (I have a UPS) so I shut it off once a month or so and clean the inside. Because I have kids and dogs and I smoke, it gets gross in there. I can usually drop the temp by 10 degrees F just by doing "housekeeping".
Johanna