Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bootloader program

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
It's me again with a another problem :whistling:

I installed PCLinuxOS and have Windows XP already installed so it made a LiLO bootloader. I deleted the Linux partitions and want to know how to resize the windows part of the drive to full again I also want to know how to make it load up Windows without asking if I want PCLinuxOS or win_c . My firend said something about WIndows 98 or a boot floppy disk but my PC doesn't have a floppy disk drive :blink:

So basically. i want my PC to be al Windows XP with no dualboot screens or anything

Thanks

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
What did you do to "delete" the Linux partitions?

Johanna

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Computer Management > Disk management and deleted the Linux and Linux swap partitions

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You will not be able to repartition the separate partitions with the software in Win XP. The best you can do is format the partitions as fat32 or ntfs. You can use partition Magic to combine the partitions back into one partition.

To remove Lilo you need to use a DOS fdisk program to rebuild the master boot record with this command (from a DOS boot floppy):

fdisk /mbr

I use a plain Windows 98 boot disk to do this. I have done this with 2 windows XP computers and had no problems with them. They booted into XP normally after rebooting the computer.

Here is where you can make a bootable CD for DOS.

http://www.bootdisk.com/popfiles.htm

You can also use a Win XP cd to load the recovery console and do a fdisk/mbr from there.
Boot from the windows XP CD, press the "R" key in the setup in order to start the restoration console. Select your windows XP installation from the list, and enter the administrator password.
Enter the command: "FIXMBR" (without the quotes) at the input prompt and confirm the next question with a "Y" (without the quotes). Use exit to restore the computer.

SRX660

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Yeah, I wanted to do the recovery thing. I made CD first boot option but it sais boot from cd then goes to LiLO

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Did you get a message to hit any key on the keyboard to boot from the CD? You should have.

SRX660

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
My friend said that but I tried pressing a load of keys when it said boot from CD, nothing.....