Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply

Matt_Fontenot

Matt_Fontenot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[font=Times New Roman][size=7]Hello! My name is Matt. I recently was given a computer by a neighbor of mine. It came to me with Windows 98 SE version A, I was told that I needed version B because the first version had lots of problems. Anyways, I purchased a SanDisk USB Flash Drive 256 MB. I downloaded the manufacturer's driver for my version of Windows. The problem was that the computer would sometimes see the flash drive and sometimes not. I was constantly having to go to "Add New Hardware" to get the computer to see it. Now I have upgraded to Windows XP and now Windows won't see it at all. The Device Manager shows "mass storage device" but I get this error message. "One of the USB devices attatched to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it." I've gone to SanDisk's web site but it says that there is no driver for Windows XP because it doesn't need one. What makes things worse is that I don't have internet access (this is from a friend's computer). So now I have XP SP2 on my flash drive but I can't get them onto my computer. Please help this is driving me insane!!!!!!!!!! :) :whistling: :help: :blink:

CPU: Cyrix® M-II 333mmX (w/ 512KB)
Operating System: Windows XP SP1
Memory: 128 MB
Hard Drive: 12GB
Optical Drive: 24x Max. CD-ROM Drive
Video: ATI® Rage IIc 3D AGP with 4MB SDRAM
Audio: Crystal CS4235 3D Audio
Peripherals: PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse, Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 2 USB Ports (1 is on Front), Audio In & Out / Game Port on Front, 1 Serial / 1 Parallel
Expansion Slots: 3 Expansion Slots

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 Matt Fontenot Flash Drive
2nd Aug 2006

Matt – Welcome to – Geeks to Go

I've gone to SanDisk's web site but it says that there is no driver for Windows XP because it doesn't need one.

That is correct – the required USB Drivers are contained in the – Installeed Service Pack – However I am not sure if the latest driver is installed with – Service Pack 1

Is the Flash Drive recognized by/on your friend’s PC – If it is- Try burning a CD with the info from the Flash Drive - & then try installing XP SP2 on your PC using the CD – Hopefully you have a CD Drive on your PC

Now see if Windows can install your Flash Drive – after installing SP2 –

I need to know the Manufacturer & Model Number of your PC – Is 128MB the maximum RAM that you can install ? – That is the minimum required for Windows XP -

Jack123

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
do u have plug n play enabled???

Matt_Fontenot

Matt_Fontenot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes the flash drive is recognized on my friends computer. His machine is not much newer than what mine is, although his computer has XP service pack 2. I have checked the BIOS and USB is enabled. I have an E-Machine E Tower 333c, I have 2 memory slots and can upgrade to 256 MB only. I was told that the ports might not have enough power to run???? Could someone please explain this to me and what I can do if that is the problem. :whistling: :blink: