Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant find hard drive!

• Please log in to reply

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
My computer was really screwed up, and i had aquired a copy of XP pro, so i decided to format and reinstall windows. It all went well, I installed XP on the same drive it was on before (a 120 gig seagate). I also had another 120 gig (western digital) and a 300 gig (maxtor) drive. I installed XP and everything is fine, but i cant find my other two drives. I downloaded maxtor's bootable cd and it runs fine, it shows both the WD 120 gig and the 300 gig drive. I can format and partition them but when i get to windows they dont show up. I run then ran maxtor's windows software, and it says the only hard drive i have is the one windows is on, how can i find my other drives? :whistling:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you go to start, my computer right click manage, disk management, do the drives show up there? How about device manager (start, my computer, right click properties, hardware tab, device manager). Do the drives show up there?

Edited by austin_o, 02 August 2006 - 07:09 AM.

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Only the one 120 gig drive shows up (as C: and D: cause i partitioned them in the disk management, only one shows up in device manager). There is a thing in device manager called "mass storage controller" with a yellow ? by it, could this be related? :whistling:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I would say very likely, yes. Try updating the driver for that device.

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It has the same drivers as it did before i reinstalled windows. It is a generic mass storage controller, what drivers should i update, mobo? Do you think it would help if i disconnected the drives, start and shutdown the computer, then reconnect them? :whistling:

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
try that. and make sure u get this thing. i dotn even no what its called, but its provided on the manufacturers website where it allows u to get past that 120GB ( something like that) barrier, and allow to use all of it. and also reinstall the drivers for it.

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I already did that, its the software update that lets your computer see more than a 137 gb hard drive, i installed that but i still cant see either drive. You only need it for drives larger than 137 gb. :whistling:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I think if you right click on the device you get options to update or roll back. You can also let windows go to the internet and get a driver. Try any or all of the above. It ain't working so it won't hurt. Need to get that yellow ? to go away. The barrier referred to is detailed at http://www.48bitlba.com/
I believe SP2 for WXP takes care of that.

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Updating that yellow ? worked, thanks! One more question though, my 300 gig drive is missing 21 gigs, is that normal? The 120 gig is missing 9 gigs.