Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

I want to replace illegal copy with legal w/o reinstalling

  • Please log in to reply




  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I bought a used computer and went straight home and loaded all my software and games. Then when I tried to update windows, it says that it is not a legal copy. So I went and purchased a brand new copy of windows XP Pro. I don't want to install it, because it took me 2 days to load all my stuff on this one.


Is there a way to use the legal CD Key and replace the bad one without reinstalling windows. They are both XP Pro.

Please tell me there is a way.

Thank you. Your next question is, "didn't you get a windows disk?" No, the person that sold me the computer said that windows was installed on a seperate partition, but it is not there.
  • 0





  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Does this help? It's a pretty similar question.


Edit: Forgot to post the link :whistling:

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 01 August 2006 - 11:25 PM.

  • 0

Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP