Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Computer Really SLOW? Help!

• Please log in to reply

t_money662

t_money662

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Alright, I just bought a new PC...an emachines T6538...wait a minute, yes I know, but I got an awesome deal..

Anyways, it's an AMD 2.2 ghz, 512 ram..however, it is REALLY REALLY REALLY slow when on the internet..My last emachine, which was 5 years old looks like a supercomputer compared to this one!
I know there is alot of software that might be slowing it down, antivirus stuff etc..., but this is really ridiculus!
I mean it took like 1 minute to load this page up on this site..
Could something else be wrong, what can I do?

I notice that the little automatic update yellow shield on the toolbar says its' "downlaoading updates", and has been on 53% for like 10 minutes now..could this be relevant? I tried to turn off those things from automatically updating, to ask first. However I can't click on the shield to open any window.. I click on it and nothing happens.

I also have a laptop (a have a Linksys wireless router) which is on the same cable modem line, and it is fine on the internet, so I know it's not the connection.

For example, I tried to download a video clip on my Desktop, and the rate was around 200 bytes (not kb)..

Then I tried the wireless on the same clip and it was around 20kb..yes i know not that fast either, but in comparison..

So whats the deal, any ideas?

thanks

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
your probably right about having software at start up

what kind of antivirus program you have

what other programs run at start up

to you its new but what type of awesome deal are we talking here
is it second hand

what type of service pack is installed are windows updated

well some things or start up programs can be disabled

let us know what requires start up

t_money662

t_money662

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am sorry, I should have been more specific...
I bought it brand new from Best Buy a week ago. It's running Windows XP, came with McAfee virus protection.(AMD Athlon 64 processor)

I disabled all startup programs, but I still am getting slow results online..It takes about 10 seconds to load a web page, I feel like I have dial-up, when I actually have cable. Real frustrating.

On my toolbar, the LAN connection says it's connected at 100 Mbps...However like I said before, I am downloading things such as video clips, and programs at anywhere from less than 1kbps to around 25kbps...

I don't understand, I disabled all auto-updates from Windows, erased trial software like Microsoft Office trial and AOL trial stuff...still slow as a snail online...I Disabled some of the McAfee stuff such as firewall to free up some memory also.
And as far as updates, Windows did download like 28 items earlier today, so I am guessing its all up to date.

t_money662

t_money662

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Still no solution..

I even bought a 512mb memory stick and put in it, so now have 1 gig total ram (minus about 104mb for the integrated video card, so total ram is really 896mb)
Still no improvement on internet speed, takes a minumum of 10 seconds to load a web page, more if lots of graphics.
My internet connection is not the problem...(wirless laptop is fine)what else are my options?
I am going to do a full restore as a last ditch effort, but i don't think its a virus or any malware, since it has been slow since the second I got online, and it was a brand new computer..