Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 on SATA..?

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Okay, so I've heard 98 can't run on with a SATA hard drive.. It has a lot of issues and crap.. Is this true? Is it impossible? I really want to play my older games and I got a 98 CD but I've already tried and it just doesn't work... Is there anyway I can do this? =/

(I found out later 2 GB RAM didn't help either. :whistling:)

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Well theres no point in downgrading to windows 98 if you have XP cause most games now only run on XP like BF2. Have you tryed right clicking on the shortcut and going on properties and then compatabilty then you can set it to run in windows 98 mode.

as long as you can get the drivers for SATA for windows 98 then i dont see why not.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Well theres no point in downgrading to windows 98 if you have XP cause most games now only run on XP like BF2. Have you tryed right clicking on the shortcut and going on properties and then compatabilty then you can set it to run in windows 98 mode.

as long as you can get the drivers for SATA for windows 98 then i dont see why not.

If you're a C&C fan you'll know the pain. Compat mode doesn't cut it. Besides, I plan to dual-boot.

And okay. Wait... I never think my hard drive came with drivers, it was OEM. Can I get them from their website? I looked at Seagate's website and I don't see drivers. :S

Edited by Comrade General, 02 August 2006 - 11:16 AM.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Yeah, you dont get drivers from the HDD site u get them from the motherboard companys site.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
98 can run on a SATA hard drive, but you need to set up the BIOS in such a way as to work with the SATA drive in RAID mode. Setting it to non-IDE mode doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid.

It might be worth just sticking a copy of Virtual PC on, installing 98SE into that and then seeing how you go from there.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

98 can run on a SATA hard drive, but you need to set up the BIOS in such a way as to work with the SATA drive in RAID mode. Setting it to non-IDE mode doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid.

It might be worth just sticking a copy of Virtual PC on, installing 98SE into that and then seeing how you go from there.

I've already tried VM and I really don't like it. Also the BIOS thing sounds like a hassle..

I guess I can just buy a 2 GB IDE hard drive cheap. meh.