Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows wont load

• Please log in to reply

willoconley

willoconley

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I was downloading XPSP2 tonight. When the window said Finalizing installation and cleaning up files the computer manually got turned off by accident. Now when I try to start the system the Manufacturer title screen flashes and immediatly after the screen blacks and there is a prompt in the top left. Thats all that happens. Any ideas on what I need to do? I don't have the startup disk so Im gonna have to aquire one somewhere, any ideas for anything else to try in the meantime.

Edited by willoconley, 02 August 2006 - 02:26 AM.

Advertisements

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Turning off the pc while MS updates are installing can cause serious problems.

willoconley

willoconley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
well... that puts my mind at ease. So will the startup disk work.

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
You will probably need an XP disc to be honest and try and run a Repair.

Can you get into SAFE MODE or SAFE MODE with Command Prompt?

willoconley

willoconley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no the prompt wont let me type anything

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Get the XP (Pro or Home...whichever u use) boot disks ( 6 floppy disks needed) from Bootdisk.com and try and start the pc up

willoconley

willoconley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
off to wal mart to buy floppys

willoconley

willoconley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
made it to the 6th disc before i got this

STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

willoconley

willoconley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
computers response

is not recognized as an internal or exrenal command, operable program or batch file.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you check it again, it has to be typed exactly as shown

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I thought you said earlier the prompt wont let you type anything???? :whistling:

willoconley

willoconley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Keith- LOL yeah i missed something. I assure you I re typed three times before the last post. Don't know what I missed but this time it worked.

Doire- The prompt before I ran the boot disks wouldn't let me type anything. It just went black and locked up after the Manufacterers screen flashed but it still had a prompt in the top left of the screen that was flashing but wouldn't let me enter anything. The boot disk worked except I got MAC floppys the first time I was at wal mart and I had to go back and exchange them. I didn't know that MAC's had floppy drives. What I was telling Keith was the prompt after I ran the boot disks and started in safe mode with command prompt.

Pretty cool of both of to help people out. I'm sure alot of people are in debt to you.

Anyhow Computer Restored. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Probably not a command prompt originally, just the point where XP stopped loading

Thank You for letting us know

You may want to check Microsoft Update (if you are in the mood for it yet)

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Good to hear all is well.

Keep those gremlins away from your computer next time updates are installing. Its annoying when they keep turning off your pc. :whistling: