Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finally got a new computer

• Please log in to reply

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
I just got a new computer...what do you think about it?

320 gb hd (raid 0) 7200 rpm
2 gb of ram
intel pentium d 930 3 ghz with intel viiv technology
nVidia GeForce 7900 GS 256mb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi X-treme
19" Black flat panel

those are all the important things...

good or bad? :whistling:

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Not a big Pentium D fan. RAM is good, and soundcard is good. I have no idea about nVidia cards. Hard drive is strange, never seen 320, what are the two individual drives? And LCD's are always good.

What's this computer being used for?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah not a pentium D fan either they just sucked so badly in early incarnations and still had the flaws of the pentium architecture. Looks good otherwise not a RAID lover either for me anything under a terabyte and a half od disk space isnt worth putting in a raid unless its made up of more than 4 or 5 drives.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
There's nothing wrong with the pentium architecture. Infact in the middle of Netburst's lifetime a few years ago (after Willamette, before Prescott) the Northwoods were definately some of the best chips around and great clockers. The Pentium D may be based on this outdated Netburst architecture, but they're still very capable chips especially at the prices Intel has had them at for the last few months. However, with Core 2 Duo I don't know why anyone would really want one other than just to get a decent processor very cheap, which in that case I'd recommend a single core Athlon 64...

I would have gotten a single harddrive for your system. RAID 0 can be nice sometimes when you need a ton of storage and then two drives are cheaper than one (2x 250GB opposed to 1x500GB), or that combined space wouldn't be available at the time (2x500GB = 1TB which doesn't exist yet.) However this RAID setup falls into neither category. btw 160GB drives and 320GB drives are very common.

2GB RAM is great

Never heard of the 7900 GS, but I'm sure it's a great card

If you really like or need the Xi-Fi, have fun with it. I would rather spend the money elsewhere, like in this case exchanging the current processor/mobo with a Core 2 Duo mobo and processor.

19" screen is meh. For gaming 5:4 isn't too good. If that's a widescreen, 19" LCD widescreen has a weird resolution (it's widescreen, but you can't really fit two documents on both sides, too much to natively display 720p, not enough to display 1080p...) and may be a bit inadequate when you got a 7900 series video card.

While it may not be exactly what I'd order, I still think it's a fine system! :whistling:

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Well I couldn't really choose the hdd configuration since it came like that...

I was pushed into buying it saying double the ram for free!!! :whistling:

The GS series of the 7900 is the Dell model....but i heard it is above the plain 7900...

The 19inch is squared...not widescreen and i have to say gaming is awesome...

the Sound Blaster was purchased because i also make music...and i need a low latency sound card :blink:

thank you for your comments

p.s. the pentium D version is one of the newest...the lowest being the 820..mine being the 930...

Edited by MaverickSidewinder, 03 August 2006 - 02:53 PM.