Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

harddrive enclosures

• Please log in to reply

ajcool123

ajcool123

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
hey guys got a quick question.

what are those hard drive cases called that can fit in like 2-3 hard drives that can be popped in or out for storage. im looking for something like that to use as like a "tape backup" idea. meaning buying ATA hard drives and swapping them in and out when i need something on them.

i know this is possible but is it reliable? what would be the best, most effective way to store hundreds of gigabytes of data?

thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you would be looking for NAS (network area storage) basically a box of HD's with a NIC card...if you're wanting to be able to just pull the drives out willy nillie (don't know why you would want to do that by the way) you would want to make sure that the drives are hot swappable

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
correction...i think it's network attached storage...not network area storage (i'm thinking of SAN - Storage area network)

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
or you could just get an external hard drive like the maxtor one touch II or III for around 300 and you get 300-400 gb's of storage. Back up is simple just press one button.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
or get a Seagate for 250 and get 500gb of storage