Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need help: network & multimedia controller

• Please log in to reply

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
hello, again,

I downloaded the 2 XP files, no results. The one file (USB) took nearly 2 hours to download! I thought maybe something was wrong with the computer settings, so I downloaded it to my main computer (Dell Dimension 3000, 160GB HD, Hyperthreading, and it took the same amount of time! I was shocked!

Anyway, nothing changed. I did add speakers and can play system sounds and CD's just fine.

Is there any way to just remove (permanently) the two devices (multimedia controller and network controller) that show the ! from the device list? They just seem to be there to bug me! LOL

Dusty

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
You can try to right click on them in device manager and click uninstall.

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, me again,

I posted a reply earlier, but see it isn't here, so maybe I hit the wrong button. I downloaded both USB XP files (one took nearly 2 hours) but neither changed anything.

I did add speakers and can play system sounds and CDs just fine.

I wish at this point I could just delete the "other devices" multimedia controller and network controller from the device list. I am beginning to suspect they are both obsolete, as all audio and net devices are working just fine.

What do you think?

Dusty

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
OOPS! Guess I didn't wait long enough for my post to post! LOL

Hello, Jaxisland!

I have uninstalled both of them, but every time I start my computer, they come right back and the wizard tries to reinstall the software, then says it can't be found and the device cannot be started.

How can I permanently uninstall them? And then does my computer self-destruct? LOL

Dusty

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
possibly what you are dealing with is having a mulitmedia card and ethernet that is bridged or onboard, yet the ones you are using are both cards you upgraded the machine with...

To unsinstall them permanently is not possible, however if you right click each in the DEVICE MANAGER you should be able to click DISABLE DEVICE and you shouldnt have any issues...

If you lose your sound though, or ethernet re-enable...

I guess you got 2 ethernet and 2 sound cards or something, didnt know that before :whistling:

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Disabling sounds like the way to go.

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, again, AitrusSkyy and Jaxisland!

I don't think there are 2 sound cards or ethernet cards in this hummer. There is only one place to connect an ethernet plug, one modem that has the in and out regular phone jacks, and one card that has the 3 little round jacks for speakers, mic, etc.

What I don't know about computers could fill a book, though, so you never know! LOL

I am going to try disabling and see what happens.

Thank you both for all the help!

Dusty