Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing Folders/Printers

• Please log in to reply

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
k i just set up my router, and so far all im at is that they can both use the internet. which is a step up.

now, how do i share folders and printers......here is my problem. on this computer i pick a folder, right click and choose sharing and security and check Share this folder...or something like taht. then when i go to my network places on the same computer, i see it under Local Area network (the files i picked to share). then i go to the printers, and pick Share, and give the name Printer. so now i go to the other computer and go to My Network Places. i see no files or folders there. i go to view workgroup. then i click on the name of THIS computer the one i went on and picked to share the folders, and it says Logon Failer: you may not have permissioin granted....something or other. i've tried help and support, and that thing is like a broken record, no matter what scenraio you pick, it asks u to do the exact same things.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
First make sure both pcs are updated with the latest windows update, install netframework 1.0 at least on both. Sometimes when pcs dont have the same updates things can be flawed in networking...

Second, verify both computers are set up for file/print sharing.

If in windows XP click START> MY NETWORK PLACES>> NETWORK SETUP WIZARD

Run the WIZARD and follow these steps IF YOUR PCS CONNECT TO A ROUTER AS YOU SAY.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

5. On this step, make sure both of the computers use the same network group name.
Posted Image

Also both pcs will ask you if you want to turn on file and print sharing click yes...

Lastly you may need to disable the windows XP firewall on both machines. If you dont know how to do this, get back to me. You dont need the xp firewall if you have a router, your router is the best firewall :whistling:

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 02 August 2006 - 11:52 AM.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
quick question befor ei press yes. it says that its not advised to pick share files and printer when im connected to the internet, should i do it naywayz?

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
yes, it is simply asking you that because it assumes anyone from the internet would be able to hack your computer with the file and print sharing ON and your XP firewall off...

With your router all your PORTs are ghosted...

CLICK yes, and when you get done if it works, later visit this link on symantec, and ill show you what I mean by you are safe with no firewall and just a router...

scan with the security advisor,

http://security.syma...HYTINMHDKDCWLLS

if that link dont work, go to this one and click SECURITY CHECK on the right side of page

http://www.symantec....ponse/index.jsp

itll tell you if you are protected or not against hackers :whistling:

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
dont worry, the firewall on the router is working.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
great, thanx a lolt taht worked, i can now share files. now the printers
when i go to control panel, printers and faxes, add printer, and it browses the network for a printer, it finds the group, but it cant find the printer. i went to printers and i picked ot share it. so wat did i do wrong

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
As for printers you need to plug the printer into at least one of the computers, install it on that computer, then go to control panel and click on PRINTERS AND FAXES, find the printer you have installed... RIGHT CLICK that printer and click SHARING ( or click properties, then sharing in the window that shows up) CHOOSE share this printer over the network, give the printer a name so you can find it with the other pc...

Restart both machines, and then wait about 2 minutes, and on the machine without the printer, once again try and find the printer...

I say restart and wait 2 minutes, because as good as networks are or can be, ive seen everything connected and done right before, but still unable to find stuff simply because the computers were slow at providing changes in the network...

so restart after you do above steps :whistling: should work

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
stil doesnt work.......What the...?

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
can anyone help me?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...ng-t102163.html not a short post...but read through to the parts you need

Advertisements

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
just to save some time, im pretty sure i hav all the necessary parts, because i JUST setup a network, where i can share files and folders, and internet, but having trouble with the printer.

oh wait, i just need to scroll down. thanks dsenette

hold on, do i need to install the driver for the printer on the computer thats not attached to it? if so, when should i install the driver?

Edited by Tru Techie, 03 August 2006 - 02:55 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there....to save YOU some time by using up MINE http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=598537 that's the print sharing section of that tutorial

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
oh great, its still not working. any thing else i can do guys?

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
anyone got any other suggestions for me?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got both PC's on?

Click printers and faxes on the one without the printer attached, click add printer, click next, the dot goes in network printer, click next, click browse, click next, if you see microsoft windows network, double click it, if you see the name of your home network, double click it to see the printers, left click the printer, click next

This assumes you right clicked the printer on the computer it is attached to, clicked sharing and it is shown with a hand underneath