Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to install an internal hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Tru Techie
Thanks for your idea I have since went and tried turning on all of the drives one by one and then looking for them the manage the disk management section and they are not there so is possible I have not connected something in the inside of the case or is there any other reason for this any other ideas would be great. the hard drive is an 250GB Thanks again :whistling:

Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 04 August 2006 - 03:16 PM.

Advertisements

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
im pretty sure the hard drive is 250GB not MB. um.....alright, what are your options in the bios, like Primary IDE or Primary SATA or Secondary w.e. wat are they?

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Tru Techie
your right I put MB instead of GB sorry the drives are as listed
sata primary drive on
sata secondary drive off
primary master drive off
primary slave drive off
secondary master drive cd-rom device
secondary slave drive off
ide drive udma off or on
does this help let my know they can be to auto or off thanks again :whistling:

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
k first of all, u have to set the jumpers on ur hard drive to master i believe. because its on another cord. then find the IDE CABLE and there are 2 ports on 1 cable. hook up the hard drive to the port labbeled HDD 1! it should be the port at the end of the cable. then go to the BIOS and turn on either primary master drive or IDE Drive. and see if its recognized in my computer>managa>disk management.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
:whistling:

k first of all, u have to set the jumpers on ur hard drive to master i believe. because its on another cord. then find the IDE CABLE and there are 2 ports on 1 cable. hook up the hard drive to the port labbeled HDD 1! it should be the port at the end of the cable. then go to the BIOS and turn on either primary master drive or IDE Drive. and see if its recognized in my computer>managa>disk management.

Hi Tru Techie
:help: I want my 120GB to be the first drive to use and the 250GB to be the second one so is this how they should be setup as your instructions above Thanks again

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
well i guessing ur first one is SATA, and the second is IDE. so they are both to be set as master on the different channels that they are on. so just connect your IDE 250GB hard drive to the IDE Channel, and the connector that you want to use should be at the end of the IDE cable. if not, jsut look for the part of the cable labelled HDD 1

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Forum
:) my computer still can't find the hardware a new hitachi deskstar hard drive 250GB my first hard drive is a sata 120GB can someone tell me what to do or help me with a walk threw as I am still unsure how to go in and of the programs as I don't want to make this worse that it is any help would be great Thanks for help. :whistling: :blink:

Cheyenne 09 :help:

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Hi Forum
:yes: my computer still can't find the hardware a new hitachi deskstar hard drive 250GB my first hard drive is a sata 120GB can someone tell me what to do or help me with a walk threw as I am still unsure how to go in and of the programs as I don't want to make this worse that it is any help would be great Thanks for help. :whistling: :help:

Cheyenne 09 :)

Hi forum
:woot: I have just been in the admin-tools and opened up the computer management and then disk management and my new hitachi hard drive 250GB is in here but it says status healthy but it has only got 49mb so can you tell me how put this right and is there anything else I have to do with it now. Thanks very much for all the help Thanks again. :blink: :woot:

Cheyenne09 :woot:

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

well i guessing ur first one is SATA, and the second is IDE. so they are both to be set as master on the different channels that they are on. so just connect your IDE 250GB hard drive to the IDE Channel, and the connector that you want to use should be at the end of the IDE cable. if not, jsut look for the part of the cable labelled HDD 1

Hi tru- techie
My computer has now found the the hitachi internal hard drive but it says its full and only got 49% space on the drive as it should be 250GB and my other one is 120 mb. what can I do to fix this. Thanks again for all the help you've given so far. Thanks again

Cheyenne 09 :whistling:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 09 August 2006 - 10:06 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cheyenne 09...

Let me take a look at how things are configured on the machine.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Expand (click +) "Storage" and click on "Disk Management". Post a screenshot of the "Computer Management" window for me to look at.

wannabe1

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Did you install the software that came with the hard drive? Or it didnt come with the CD.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Hi cheyenne 09...

Let me take a look at how things are configured on the machine.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Expand (click +) "Storage" and click on "Disk Management". Post a screenshot of the "Computer Management" window for me to look at.

wannabe1

HI wannabe1
:blink: thanks for replying I got it on the screen but how do I take the screen shot I'll do that now thanks Hpdv8315lover yes I did install the software thanks again.

Cheyenne 09 :whistling:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 14 August 2006 - 09:27 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Press Alt + PrtScn keys together to capture the active window. Open an image editor such a Paint and press Ctrl + V together to paste it to the Paint application. Save the image as JPG or PNG and attach it to a post here using the "Add this Attachment" feature, then click the "Add to Post" button in the attachment window.

Or you can download WinSnap from the link in my signature to capture the screenshot and add it to the post as descibed above.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Press Alt + PrtScn keys together to capture the active window. Open an image editor such a Paint and press Ctrl + V together to paste it to the Paint application. Save the image as JPG or PNG and attach it to a post here using the "Add this Attachment" feature, then click the "Add to Post" button in the attachment window.

Or you can download WinSnap from the link in my signature to capture the screenshot and add it to the post as descibed above.

Hi wannabe1
I have saved this in paint but cant get to attach to the post step by step please wannabe1 your the greatest sorry i'm to slow. I have not done this before Thanks again

CHEYENNE 09 :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
First, save the image to the "My Pictures" folder.

Open a reply window here and click on the "Bowse" button located below the text input field...navigate to the saved image, select it, and click "Open". Click the "Add This Attachment" button.

Once the image has been attached, look in the "Attachment" window and you should see a button to "Add into Post". Click that button.

Click the "Add Reply" button as normal.