Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to install an internal hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
untitled.JPG

First, save the image to the "My Pictures" folder.

Open a reply window here and click on the "Bowse" button located below the text input field...navigate to the saved image, select it, and click "Open". Click the "Add This Attachment" button.

Once the image has been attached, look in the "Attachment" window and you should see a button to "Add into Post". Click that button.

Click the "Add Reply" button as normal.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Pretty good, but I need to see the Disk Management display... :whistling: Click on "Disk Management" in the left pane and post another screenshot.

Edited by wannabe1, 13 August 2006 - 12:13 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
untitled_1.JPG

Pretty good, but I need to see the Disk Management display... :whistling: Click on "Disk Management" in the left pane and post another screenshot.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It would appear that your new drive is being recognized as a cd-rom and is set as a Primary rather than a slave. This could be either connectors or jumper positions.

Did you set the jumpers on the rear of the drive to the slave position? Is the drive connected to the center connector of the ribbon?

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

It would appear that your new drive is being recognized as a cd-rom and is set as a Primary rather than a slave. This could be either connectors or jumper positions.

Did you set the jumpers on the rear of the drive to the slave position? Is the drive connected to the center connector of the ribbon?

Hi wannabe1
Thanks for replying again I installed it as per instructions from the manual as the slave so I dont know what has happened can you help me set it up correctly I can go onto the other computer and post to you and open up my dell and have a look and could you walk me threw this please am really grateful Thanks again i'll wait for your reply. :whistling:

Cheyenne 09 :blink: :help:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm not sure of the exact model of your harddrive...take a look at the image below. Does this look like your drive? If yes, are the jumpers set to "Slave" as shown?
jmprs.png

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

I'm not sure of the exact model of your harddrive...take a look at the image below. Does this look like your drive? If yes, are the jumpers set to "Slave" as shown?
jmprs.png

Hi wannabe1
I followed this part in the manual to set the drive to slave hard drive set jumpers across terminals A-B and C-D it an hitachi deskstar this is how it looks G E C A
H F D B
I hope this helps thanks again

Cheyenne 09 :whistling: :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That should be correct.

Is it connected to the center connector on the IDE cable?

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

That should be correct.

Is it connected to the center connector on the IDE cable?

Hi wannabe1
I have just checked the and yes its plugged in but it is more two the left than the centre as connecter is shaped. I have left it open just now and I am posting from the other computer so I can post back to you. Thanks again your the greatest

Cheyenne 09 :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looking at the cable below, notice that there are 3 connectors on it...a blue one, a black one, and a white one. If your cable is similar, what you need is for the blue connector to be connected to the motherboard, and the white (or center) connector to the new HDD. The black connector should not be connected.
ide.png

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Looking at the cable below, notice that there are 3 connectors on it...a blue one, a black one, and a white one. If your cable is similar, what you need is for the blue connector to be connected to the motherboard, and the white (or center) connector to the new HDD. The black connector should not be connected.
ide.png

Hi wannabe1
I had the black connecter in the back of the drive I have now changed it to the white one what should I do now. Thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Power the machine up and post me another screenshot of the Disk Management window as you did before.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Power the machine up and post me another screenshot of the Disk Management window as you did before.

Hi wannabe1
I going power the dell up now and post you back with the screen shot in a few minutes Thanks again

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
untitled_3.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician