Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to install an internal hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Not what I was looking for, but helpful none-the-less... :whistling:

Remove the XP cd, power the machine off, and disconnect from the power source (wall or back of power supply...pull the plug)

Hook the SATA drive back up as it was.

Jumper the new drive as a slave (again). Connect it to the center position on the IDE 0 cable (former cd-rom cable).

Connect the cd-rom drive to the end position on the IDE 1 cable.

Connect the power cables to all drives and plug the machine back in to the power source.

Power the machine up. It should boot to Windows and (hopefully) detect the new drive as Primary Slave...the cd-rom should be detected as Secondary Master.

Hi wannabe 1
secondary drive 1 not found do I just hit F1 to continue Thanks again

Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yeah...let's see what shows up.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Yeah...let's see what shows up.

Hi wannabe1
the partitions are as follows partition basic Fat healthy 39mb
partition basic NTFS healthy 111.72GB disk 0 online cd-rom0 dvd (E) no media

the drive did not show after the boot so I got this information by going to my computer and right clicking and then disk management. let me know if this is good news or bad news. Thanks again

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling:

The bad news:
Still not there...Reboot and enter BIOS setup. Make sure that Primary Slave is set to Auto Detect, save any settings you change, and boot to Windows to see if it detects. We may have to change the cableing to the hard drive, but try the BIOS first.

The good news:
The cd-rom is shown as Secondary Master as expected...we are on the right track.

Let me know what you find in the BIOS...

Edited by wannabe1, 16 August 2006 - 07:59 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

:blink:

The bad news:
Still not there...Reboot and enter BIOS setup. Make sure that Primary Slave is set to Auto Detect, save any settings you change, and boot to Windows to see if it detects. We may have to change the cableing to the hard drive, but try the BIOS first.

The good news:
The cd-rom is shown as Secondary Master as expected...we are on the right track.

Let me know what you find in the BIOS...

Hi wannabe1
changed the bios from the off postion to auto for the primary slave still can't see it what now Thanks again.

Cheyenne 09 :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Power off and unplug the machine.

Remove the IDE 0 cable from the new drive.

Connect the new drive to the center position on the IDE 1 cable (with cd-rom drive).

Power the machine up, enter BIOS and make sure Secondary Slave is set to Auto Detect. Boot to Windows and see if it is detected as Secondary Slave (disk 1)

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
changed setting to auto but it's still a no show and now I have to reactivate windows in the next 3 days. Thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go ahead and activate Windows.

I need to gather my thoughts on why that slave won't detect. Let's try setting the jumpers on the new drive to Cable Select. We'll leave it connected with the cd-rom, though.

cabsel.png

Power up and see what happens.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Go ahead and activate Windows.

I need to gather my thoughts on why that slave won't detect. Let's try setting the jumpers on the new drive to Cable Select. We'll leave it connected with the cd-rom, though.

cabsel.png

Power up and see what happens.

Hi wannabe1
primary drive 1 not found secondary drive 0 not found secondary drive 1 not found then new hardware hl-d something channel but it flashed up to quick to write it all down and now my keyboard wont work so I can't activate windows is this what you thought would happen. Thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not what I wanted, but not totally unexpected, either.

One more cableing change before I start to question the integrity of the drive... :whistling:

Jumper the new drive as Master and connect it where the cd-rom is now. Leave the cd-rom disconnected for the moment and power up. Does the drive detect?

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
:help: primary drive not found and secondary not found then new hardware icon flashed up bottom right of the screen but then nothing so I went to the my computer and click manage and found it under disk management disk 0 unknown not initialized unallocated 233.88GB disk 1 111.76GB online fat 39mb what now and also the drive is a 250Gb and the sata 120. Thanks again I think youve cracked it

Cheyenne 09 :whistling: :blink:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 16 August 2006 - 09:41 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That'll work! :blink:

Now you need to connect your cd-rom to the end connector of the remaining cable and make sure it detects, as well.

If both will detect, you can install the drive physically and close the machine up. It's late and all there is left to do is to format the new drive. You can do that in Computer Management.

Make sure to activate Windows. :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 16 August 2006 - 09:48 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
:help: my new harddrive is now formatting but my windows has just become a big problem while trying to activate windows and following it one step at a time the I got the following message... according to our records the number of times you can activate windows with this product key has been exceeded please enter a different product key and then click retry the 25digit product key should be located on the back of the windows xp cd folder on a sticker that looks similar to this .... message number ( 45092 ) I dont know if you remember but I bought a new os because my disk was badly damaged which was windows xp home that cost £180.00 with service pack two I only have three days. any advice would be great. Thanks again for all your help your a real treasure. Is this where I should start to panic. thanks again your the greatest

Cheyenne 09 :whistling: :blink:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 16 August 2006 - 11:01 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No panic on my watch!

Try to validate windows first. Open "My Documents", click on "Help" on the toolbar, and choose "Is my copy of Windows legal?". This will open an IE window and take you to the validation page. Go ahead and run the validation tool. Once the validation tool runs and tells you your copy is genuine, try to activate again.

Microsoft may have to give you a new registration number, but this would be done by phone.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

No panic on my watch!

Try to validate windows first. Open "My Documents", click on "Help" on the toolbar, and choose "Is my copy of Windows legal?". This will open an IE window and take you to the validation page. Go ahead and run the validation tool. Once the validation tool runs and tells you your copy is genuine, try to activate again.

Microsoft may have to give you a new registration number, but this would be done by phone.

Hi wannabe1
:blink: I have got the page open the message reads windows must be activated in order to determine if the windows product key installed on this computer is genuine ... buy one now. Thanks wannabe1 your the best friend to have in a non panic situation Thanks again