Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to install an internal hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
By phone it is, then... :whistling:

Once you get a Microsoft rep on the phone, explain to them all that you have been through with this machine. They're usually pretty good about helping you get things right. Your issue isn't with legality, it's just been worked on a bit much and gone through a few hardware changes.

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click "Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement", click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click "Next". A phone number will appear based on your location...call it.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message: "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows" click "OK".

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
:whistling:

By phone it is, then... :woot:

Once you get a Microsoft rep on the phone, explain to them all that you have been through with this machine. They're usually pretty good about helping you get things right. Your issue isn't with legality, it's just been worked on a bit much and gone through a few hardware changes.

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click "Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement", click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click "Next". A phone number will appear based on your location...call it.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message: "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows" click "OK".

Hi wannabe1
I'll let you know what happens later on thanks again for all your help. you can go get a cuppa coffee now your the greatest Thanks again.

Cheyenne 09 :blink: :help:
Cheyenne 09 :)

Edited by cheyenne 09, 17 August 2006 - 02:46 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Think I'll wander off toward the bedroom instead...it's been a long day. :whistling:

Let me know how it goes...

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
:yes: your a one in a million kinda guy I couldn't have fixed all of my computer problems over the last few months with your help and your dedication to help me and guide me threw all of the steps from start to finish your a real lifesaver I spend a lot of time using my computer and if wasn't for you it would now be in the trash. so I really can't thank you enough geekstogo have a real diamond on their team here. I phoned Microsoft shortly after signing off this morning and they gave me another product key code so everything is running. Thanks for everything again

p.s when I boot up I have to press F1 or f2 before it loads windows and I cannot get the task manager up by pressing control -alt-delete any advice would be gratefully received.

I'll stay in touch :) can I put you on speed dial.. :) :woot: :woot: :woot:

Cheyenne 09 :whistling: :blink: :help:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thank you for the kind words... :whistling:

Is there an error message associated with having to press F1 or F2 to boot to Windows?

Can you open Task Manager by right clicking on the Taskbar and choosing "Task Manager"?

Edited by wannabe1, 17 August 2006 - 11:44 AM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
:help: The message that is at the top of the screen is dell system dimension 8300 series bios version A01 www.dell.com primary drive 1 not found secondary drive 1 not found strike F1 key to continue ,F2 to run the set up utility. also can I stop the AOL spyware protection from auto running as I have ad-aware SE professional that I use. Thanks wannabe1 your the best I will be eternally grateful for everything you've done to help me over the last few months. Thanks again

:) Cheyenne 09 :whistling: :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Take a look in BIOS at the boot priority. Can you set the SATA drive as second boot device? Boot priority should be:
  • CD-ROM
  • HDD (SATA)
  • Floppy
Also look for a setting to "Halt on all errors"...if you find such a setting, change it to NO. Remember to save any settings you change when you exit the BIOS Setup.

For AOL Spyware Protection: I'm not real familiar with AOL so this may be a bit of hunt and peck. Open the application and look in Preferences (Options?) for a checkbox to have it not start with Windows. If you can't find an option to do that, click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, look in the list for an item related to that application. If you find it, remove the check from the box next to it and "Apply" the change. If you make a change here, you will have to reboot for the change to take effect. Upon restarting you will receive a "Selective Startup" dialog windo...this is normal. Click the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Were you able to open the Task Manager by right clicking on the taskbar and choosing "Task Manager"?

Edited by wannabe1, 17 August 2006 - 03:48 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
:help: Thanks for your reply I have just checked in the bios and in boot priority. 1. Diskette Drive
2. Hard Drive Drive C 3. Cd-Rom device ( not Installed ) press space bar for changes but it only takes the tick on or off so what can I do to change the items around so they are the same as on your list.Thanks again your the best.

I'll check back in a bit to see if to see if you've posted back Thanks again

:) Cheyenne 09 :whistling: :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot into the BIOS Setup and look for a heading "BOOT" (or similar). Use the arrow keys to select that catagory and press "Enter". You should find the boot priority settings there...using the arrow keys again, select the first boot device listed and use the + or - keys to change the device listed to the CD-ROM...move to the next and set it to HDD (SATA), and so on until they match what I listed. Save the changes when you exit BIOS (usually by pressing F10) and see if it will boot correctly.

Cd-Rom device ( not Installed )

Does the CD-ROM show in "My Computer"?

Edited by wannabe1, 18 August 2006 - 01:12 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
:help: I went back into the bios and changed the boot priority to match your list but it still asks me to press F1 or F2 to load windows I strike F1 then it loads. I can use the cd-rom even thou it says it not installed. Thanks again for all your help. I'll check back later have a nice night

Cheyenne 09 :whistling: :blink:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm...let me have a look at the boot.ini file.

Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button.

A notepad window should open (boot.ini). Copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me. Don't change anything in there... :whistling: This is the file that tells your computer how to start.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
I just got your message and this is what you wanted
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Thanks again

Cheyenne 09 :whistling: :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Before I give you an edit to the boot.ini, let me have a fresh screenshot of the Computer Management window as you did in post #44...I need to double check the drive configuration.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
wannabe1_screenshot_1.JPG

as requested Thanks again

Cheyenne 09 :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perfect! Thank you... :whistling:

Ok...let's save a copy of the current boot.ini where you can find it should we need it. In the boot.ini notepad window, click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save As". Name this file boot.old and save it to your desktop.

Now copy the red text below...click "Edit" on the toolbar of the current boot.ini file that you have open and choose "Select All". Right click on the selected text and choose "Paste". Click "File" on the toolbar and click "Save". Close all open windows and reboot...any change?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin