Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply

relmore

relmore

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
i've tried reading about RAM but am still unsure of what will be compatible with my system which is a Dell Dimension 2350. The motherboard has only 2 slots available for ram.

The computer came with this single chip: PC2100U 256 DDR CL2.5

first scenario:
I've already bought 1 stick of 512mb 333mhz DDR, 266MHZ compatible, not dual-channel compatible.

Is this compatible with my original ram chip (the 256) or should i just leave the single 512? Windows recognizes the upgrade and counts all 768 megs but i wasnt sure if I would be getting optimal performance with this.

Also,
second other possible scenario
I could upgrade the old original single PC2100U 256 stick with a new single stick 256mb, DDR, 400, CL3

so that would be my new 512, 333mhz 2.5 CL2.5
combined with a new 256, 400mhz, CL3

Would this be compatible on this motherboard? and even better than the first scenario?

Thanks

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
It is my understanding that mixing RAM will cause all of your RAM to run at the lower clock speed. So, buying 400mhz RAM and installing it with your new 333mhz RAM would cause the faster RAM to run at 333mhz. It will still work, it just won't be optimal.

relmore

relmore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
thanks for the input kidnova. that makes sense. any other thoughts from a geek squad tech?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
here is a link to the memory that your system supports...DONT MIX MEMORY...it may work but you should match memory...

http://www.crucial.c...p...s&submit=Go