Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My disk drive is broken again

• Please log in to reply

CKramer

CKramer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
There is something weird going on with my disc drive. It's a DVD+-RW that came with my HP desktop (I'm not sure of the model. I can find it out if necessary). Recently, it has just stopped reading any discs. Whether or not there is a disc inside the drive, closing it results in the light blinking a few times and then nada. Clicking on the drive in My Computer comes up with a blank window. It seems to think that there is a blank disc inside the drive.

I've tried updating the drivers, to no avail. I can't reinstall them because the drive won't read the Restore Disc. I have DaemonTools installed on my computer, but I have tried disabling it and uninstalling it, with no change.

Incidentally, there is another "DVD Drive" showing up in My Computer under Drive K:, yet I have no second drive and I have disabled all virtual drives.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Take a look in Device Manager ( Click start, right click my computer, select properties, click on hardware tab, click device manager ). Now find and click on DVD/CD-ROM drives. Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to it? This should tell you the make and model of your DVD drive. Now double click it. This should open a little window that either tells whether the device is working properly or not.

What does it say there?

CKramer

CKramer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oops, thread necromancy, but I still have the problem.

Anyway, here's what I see.

In the Device Manager:
Posted Image

And when I double-click the drive:
Posted Image

It's odd, because it definitely isn't working correctly. No matter what's in the drive physically, the drive doesn't read it. In My Computer, the drive appears as if I had nothing in it (i.e. it just says "DVD-RW Drive (E:)") If I try to open it, it takes me to a blank folder labeled "E:".

Any ideas?