Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pchealth

• Please log in to reply

sparrow01

sparrow01

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Help! I have accidentaly deleted my pchealth file. Therefore, I cannot access my Help file or menu. I desperately need "helpctr.exe". Is there anyone out there who would let me download thiers, or perhaps direct me to a site where I can access these files?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Look on your WinME CD...it is located in the Win_16.cab File

Many programs will allow you to extract from a cab file..I am especially fond of tugzip

http://www.tugzip.com/

sparrow01

sparrow01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for responding, but i hate to say, my Windows ME CD is nowhere to be found.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
helpcenter.zip

sparrow01

sparrow01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've still gotten nowhere. I just need these files.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is that file, zipped.

Do you mean you deleted more than that? I don't follow you.

sparrow01

sparrow01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My Windows pchealth has been completely deleted. It is not there. "helpctr.exe" has been completely deleted. That is what I am in need of in order to gain access to my Help Center.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Help!  I have accidentaly deleted my pchealth file.....

View Post

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. You said FILE, not folder. I thought Helpctr.exe was your clarification. Extracting a file from a CD is easy enough, but this....

OK, here's the rub. While I know windows 98 2000 and XP backward and forward, I give winme wide berth and only deal with it when I have to. So I am not 100 percent certain that you can simply copy a PCHealth folder from one machine to another. I have never tried it.

In addition to running the help center, pchealth is involved in the file protection and system state manager function, though I am not certain how tightly intertwined it is. The reason this is important is that system state information includes (at least for win 2000 and xp) hardware and registry information that is machine specific.

So, it MIGHT NOT WORK. It might even be very bad.

I have a test machine and am installing winme on it....give me about 45 minutes and I will upload the folder in a compressed form to the following link--you should be able to uncompress it retaining the folder structure and drop it in the windows folder.

pchealth

Remember, I am installing winme so give me some time....if you clink on the link and nothing happens, I am not done yet....patience

sparrow01

sparrow01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for yet another reply. I'll wait . . . patiently.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, give it a try...good luck

sparrow01

sparrow01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Guess What??????????????????????????????????

It WORKED! I cannot thank you enough for the time you've taken to help me fix this problem. Thanks to you, I can now enter my Help files. I guess these forums can be helpful. In the past, I've had no luck at all receiving successful responses. Finally, someone who has the skill to issue a simple resolve. Thanks again for your time and for caring at all.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
your welcome...glad I could help :tazz: