Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help- system restore blank- and other problems

• Please log in to reply

farmersue

farmersue

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok here goes.. this may be confusing...

I am running xp and IE6 and ran into some problems last week. It must have started with an automatic update that messed everything up. I all of a sudden couldn't get into a few website, like my banking and my work which requires password and sign-in. My work website said I couldnt get in cuase I needed IE 5 or higher, ( and was runing 6 already) SO... me being stupid, went and downloaded IE 7. WELL.. I was then getting an error about the cryptographic service- went in and researched that and I think I fixed it. I can now get onto my banking and not my work site. Being fed up I wanted to do a system restore and try that avenue.
When I click on help and suppport in the start menu, I get nothing, when I click on system restore in the control panel I get a complete blank page. I GIVE UP! I need some help, if anyone can! Thanks

useless Sue in Alberta

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
[attachment=10019:attachment]

you dont see this when you go to system restore

you can try this ...........GO START>>>CLICK RUN>>>>TYPE IN.... msconfig ...AND AND ON THE SERVICES TAB CLICK ON THAT THEN LOOK TOO SEE IF SYSTEM RESTORE IS CHECKED

[attachment=10020:attachment]

farmersue

farmersue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I cannot even go into help and support- that page soen not come up. I had to go into control panel to access system restore. I click on system restore and the page comes up completely blank. I checked what you said and everything is checked off and says running...

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to your control panel
clikck on system and system restore tab

make sure there is no check mark for all drives just trying to rule out possiblities

[attachment=10021:attachment]

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi farmersue...

Does Control Panel open and display the icons as it should...or is it blank, as well?

wannabe1

farmersue

farmersue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
checked that one too already! I think my problem has to do with registry "stuff" because when I was locked out and got the cryptographic service error they had me remove and add some stuff- and I can get onto a few sites, but still not mine, and now I cant even get into help and support fromt he start menu, or system restore through any means! AAAAAAAAAAAAArrgggg

farmersue

farmersue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
wannabe- Control Panel opens up fine and all is displayed. That is where I tried to get to system restore and I got the blank page.

farmersue

farmersue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
wannabe?? If I downloaded registry mechanic http://www.pctools.c...google_registry
would that help??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Double-click on the Java icon. Under the "Update" tab, click on the "Update Now" button. Let the Java update and reboot. See if the currently blank windows will populate.

This issue can be caused by several things, one of which is malware. Let me know if the Java update helps.

farmersue

farmersue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
wannabe- Where do I find the java icon???

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In Control Panel... :whistling:

farmersue

farmersue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok.. I must be blonde, cause I cant see it, unless it is listed under some other icon!

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
You may not even have java installed :whistling:

If all else fails though, you can reboot your computer as well and hit F8 BEFORE you see the windows xp LOGO loading up untill you see the windows xp boot menu... On this page you can also choose the RESTORE FEATURE, restore my pc to the last working stage :blink:

It may be disabled via windows simply because the spyware did it. Try it via this way see if you come up with anything.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.java.com/...nload/index.jsp

heres the download

farmersue

farmersue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hokey carp! I did this registry mechanic on the side here as I was awaiting your help, and got a carp load of errors- hkey_local_machine\software and a whole pile more!