Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disapearing Drives

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi, not long since I posted a call for help on this problem entitled ‘Boot failure due to previous device’ but presume that it has been forgotten as I thought things where OK. I am in fact still having the same problem after a few weeks. Now I can add a bit more info and query the possible causes I have become suspicious of. The actual crashing occurs even when the system has been left alone for some time and the message regarding the boot failure comes up. It was suggested that this could be the hard drive failing but I changed the drive by copying the OS onto another. That is when I thought the problem had gone away. The drive with the OS on was not recognized in the BIOS info. This has now happened with the new drive and the slave drive seperatly. I also had the message ‘Pri Master Hard Disk SMART command failure. I know what this means and turned it on purposely but am not sure it can be believed in this case as it was the second drive (slave) that was not being recognized.
I am now wondering if it could be the PS that is not enough for the system and that overheating is the cause or if the case fans are not sufficient to cool the CPU, I don't know what temp it is supposed to run at. It's an Intel Pentium 4 ® 3.20GHz and runs at around 54 but I have seen it at 70. ( I do have the computer close to the wall on one side). I also wonder if a faulty graphics card or the type of memory in use might be behind it. I’m still in the dark. :whistling:

Steve

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Hmmm, can you post your specs here, pc specs, also include your Motherboard info...

You may just need a bios update due to some support issues with your bios and the HDs. If you provide me with above info I can find some things quickly for you...

Or if it is a pc purchased from dell or compaq or hp or whatever, just tell me the make and model rather than provide all that info at the top.

download this

http://www.alexnolan...are/sysspec.htm itll collect your info and put it to clipboard quickly.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 02 August 2006 - 06:54 PM.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Sorry, I did post a reply but presume it did not show because of a screegrab I attached. It was only to show that from my last search for a BIOS update the results showed that the one installed is the same as the online version (3.AO). I had updated it some time back but checked anyway. I hope the info below is what you requested, if you need more let me know. Thanks,

Steve

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz
CPU Speed: 3190.0 MHz
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters: RADEON 9600 SERIES | RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: H: ASUS CD-S520/A | I: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A
:
COM Ports: COM4 | COM1 | COM3
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 29.3GB | D: 46.4GB | E: 46.9GB | F: 46.9GB | G: 49.8GB | Z: 9.0GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 21.2GB | D: 42.8GB | E: 46.6GB | F: 46.2GB | G: 15.6GB | Z: 8.8GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: MS-6728
:
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 09/29/04 | AMIINT - 10
Time Zone: GMT Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INC. MS-6728
Modem: Intel® 536EP Modem