Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux for an old Dell laptop?

• Please log in to reply

igniculus

igniculus

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've an old Dell Inspiron 600MHz celeron with 64Mb memory, thought I might change it to linux since it doesn't get used anymore and is in a poor state with winME, what would be a good choice? Can you get all the necessary drivers? I was under the impression Dell use some non-standard bits and somtimes getting the drivers was an issue?

Edited by igniculus, 02 August 2006 - 06:00 PM.

Advertisements

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
You can upgrade to linux or unix!

Drivers sould be able to be found on the internet. Google is your friend!

I would like to say somthing!
DELL MAKES THE BADEST COMPUTERS
thank you

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
not sure how easy/hard it will be to get drivers for that machine.... it depends on what distro you use to some extent.... Just be aware that you wouldn't be able to run like kde or maybe even gnome but you could probably get one of the less flashy windowsmanagers to work...

edit-- typically the big ones need about 256mb ram to run well...

Edited by shard92, 03 August 2006 - 10:11 AM.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Download and run Everest Home 1.51 or Belarc and obtain the information seperately on each componant. Then look up the drivers at the products respective web site. Alot of pruducts like video and NICs have drivers written by the companies.
Just a thought.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Linux can be installed on pretty much anything. But with the most recent Linux OS's they have put newer drivers on there, for new technology support. Try getting a new distro, and if the install fails because of it not having drivers, get a slightly older OS. Theres very little chance there isn't drivers coded for your laptop somewhere on the web. People manage to put linux on the wierdest of things. I have Linux on my iPod! http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

They have also made Linux for the platstation 2! http://playstation2-linux.com/.

Maybe not with PS2-Linux, but nearly all software available for linux is open source (meaning cost free), and with the look visually of linux now, and with the ease of use, people rumor that linux will one day take over windows.