Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD burner need update?

• Please log in to reply

hajiwon

hajiwon

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
hi,

my XP Professional com has a Memorex DVD+/-RW True8Xn, firmware version 1.G1
i usually burn dvd's using memorex DVD-R 8x, but recently i bought TDK DVD-R 1-16x by accident
i tried burning with that disc but then nero said: burn process failed at 2.4x, i also tried burning with DVDLab but it said error

do i need to update my dvd drive, if so how?? i went to the memorex website but didn't know which update to download since i didn't see it have my version

hope you guys can help me :whistling: thanks in advance

Edited by hajiwon, 02 August 2006 - 05:49 PM.

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
It should work fine, given that you are using DVD-R in both instances. You shouldn't need firmware upgrading.

However, I've had a look and there is a later version of firmware out available here but you want to make sure you've got the right one. Also read the warnings - it is possible to turn your DVD drive into landfill if it doesn't work out. Do so at your own risk!

My first question is: How many discs have actually failed? Does it happen consistently? If it happened once in ten or whatever it might be a bad batch of media.

Also each DVD burner has specific parameters in terms of burndepth, duration and so on. The same goes for DVD discs. Unfortunately the two don't always match up, meaning some writers don't jwork well (or at all) with certain brands. Add to that the batch variability of DVD discs even within the same brand - you can end up with a lot of drinks coasters.

I'm not familiar with the brand you're using, but I personally use Verbatim discs. The DVD+R were recently rated especially highly and I'm getting very few burn failures (but they can happen, for various reasons).

Let us know how you get on :whistling:

Digikiwi

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
it still doesn't work, i've updated the DVD drive to 1.G2 but it still couldn't read the DVD-R 1-16x :whistling:

i've tried 3 new dvd-r already and it still has errors

Edited by hajiwon, 03 August 2006 - 02:55 PM.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

it still doesn't work, i've updated the DVD drive to 1.G2 but it still couldn't read the DVD-R 1-16x :whistling:

i've tried 3 new dvd-r already and it still has errors

At this point I would suggest eliminating two possibilities - can you try burning one of those TDK disks on another DVD writer (eg a friend's computer) and also try using another brand of disk in your one to make sure it is otherwise working.

I'm a little confused by your description - are you unable to write, read or both with these DVD discs?

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
^ the dvd drive was able to read the tdk dvd-r but was unable to write with it... the tdk dvd-r is 1-16x, what does that mean?? should it be compatible with the dvd burner i have which is 8x??

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
can anyone help?? why doesn't the DVD-R work??

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
-please close this thread-

Edited by hajiwon, 17 August 2006 - 04:13 PM.