Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add/Remove Programs List

• Please log in to reply

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
for some reason when i go to the add or remove programs list, it shows the top 4 programs, then a HUGEEEEEEe black gap, you scroll down, and then the rest. how do u make this go away?

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I have seen this before, but in my case it was a long WHITE gap... I think I scanned with a registry cleaner
look on google for cc registery cleaner or just go here

http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

other than that, it doesnt really cause an actual issue with windows running, and it might need a format to fix it.

It usually means one program you have installed has accidently made a long entry into your add/remove.

As for your other printer issue, im still working on that.
Are you able to get the printer to actually work on the #1 pc its connected to before you share it?

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 02 August 2006 - 07:24 PM.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
yeah it works on the first pc. is RegCleaner ok? cause i use that.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
im sure reg cleaner is fine...

ive done reg cleaner, reg mechanic, and cc registry cleaner...

I like cc the best, makes easy backups and finds a lot of crap :whistling:.

If it really annoys the hello out of you and the registry programs dont fix the add/remove thing, you can try removing the program listen right above the blackness, and remove the program right below the blackness, then see if that fixes it, if it does, then reinstall the programs...

( unless you are screwed and like the program above is win xp sp2 or something then forget it )

its just annoying and a lil messup of windows, but it wont harm your performance or the way it runs in general.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
if it doesnt than, i dont want to risk losing my wireless internet, for some reason i had alot of trouble getting it set up.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if the registry cleaner does not work you might want to try this...

Here's one generic solution to the problem. (You'll have to do a little work here)
1. Start the registry editor
2. Select [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]-[SOFTWARE]-[MICROSOFT]-[WINDOWS]-[Uninstall]
3. Back up the Uninstall branch (step 2) by exporting it to your desktop
4. Open the Add/Remove programs control applet. Note the last good display name in your Add/Remove program List. Then close the control panel applet.
5. Go back to the registry editor. Find the program uninstall key from step 4 above in the registry. (Using only the branch in step 2) Select the NEXT uninstall key.
6. Delete the uninstall keys one at a time until you find the offending uninstallation routine. After each deletion, open the Add/Remove programs applet and look at the display to see if it is fixed. Remember to CLOSE the Add/Remove program window before deleting the next key.
7. When you find the correct key, make a note of it.
8. Your problem is not fixed if you deleted some GOOD registry entries. At this point you MAY have deleted BOTH GOOD and BAD registry entries, depending on how lucky you were.
9. The next step explains how to restore the registry to it's prior state.
10. Close the registry editor. Right click on the file you saved in step 3. Select Merge.
11. Your registry is now back to where it was ORIGINALLY.
12. Now open your registry editor and select the key from step 7, and delete it. Your problem should now be fixed and all good entries intact.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
thre is no uninstall branch under Windows.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

thre is no uninstall branch under Windows.

:whistling: :blink: :help:

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
You are missing the Current Version branch:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]-[SOFTWARE]-[MICROSOFT]-[WINDOWS]-[CurrentVersion]-[Uninstall]

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this
go>start>run and type in cmd and hit enter. Now type in the following REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL
and hit enter on your keyboard. This should reset those registry entries

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you just install SP2 by chance..?? or any updates...if so try system restore...go back at least 2 weeks before the problem started

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
well, i can honestly say that that didnt do anything. but i did get suspicious of java runtime, i couldnt find the uninstallstring for it. i tried everything else there and it didnt work.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you have SP2...when did you put it on...the same for updates...what do you have and when did you install them...do you have your computer to automaticly update windows ...when did you first notice the problem...give me anything and EVERYTHING YOU KNOW...what version of JAVA do you have

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
i installed the OS fresh yesterday, along with SP2

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Java runtime 5.0 Update 3