Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dimension 4600 - Dead?

• Please log in to reply

chris73

chris73

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok, I really hope there is an answer here.

I moved my Dimension 4600 to a new case with a new PSU. Everything was fine for the last 48 hours. My friend at work gave me a 512 memory chip for it and I dropped it in. It smelled funny immediately so I turned off the machine and pulled the chip. An electrical fire smell. After looking at it, it is DEFINATELY not a PC 3200 chip. It looks like it came from a MAC.

The machine will no longer boot. I originally got the green green yellow yellow error light of bad memory. I reseated the chips and booted. The machine posted and geve me a WINX error (I think that's what it said) and told me to call Dell for assistance.

I rebooted. Now there are no error lights and he machine does not boot at all or post. It starts, fans lights and HD spin up, and it shuts down. No Dell splash screen, no nothing.

I removed the video card and reseated it as well.

I tried starting with no RAM installed. Nothing.

Always no lights at all and no post.

I removed the battery, nothing.

OMG - I can't afford a new MOBO now and I earn my living with this thing! (it's a crappy living)

HELP! HELP!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you removed all of the ram and tried booting and didn't get any beep codes, the motherboard is most likely bad.

chris73

chris73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
That was the answer I WASN'T looking for! LOL!