Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor Question

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hello everyone, this is probably a simple question... I have a dell 19 inch flat panel monitor now, and I want to eventually build my own computer... Do you think a dell monitor would work with a homemade computer? I'm sure I would have to install drivers for it, right? I have a CD issued by Dell for that monitor, but I don't know if it's only limited to Dell computers... Does anyone have any knowledge of what would happen in this situation?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Your Dell monitor should work fine with any other PC. Drivers aren't actually required for monitors anyhow - they just add a bit of extra functionality and/or utilities for the monitor.

If you have a CD thats for the monitor only (i.e no other hardware), then I would have thought that this should also work fine on other systems. If not, you should be able to download the driver for it but like I said, it will work perfectly alright with with just the standard Windows PnP Monitor driver.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Thanks Samm! The drivers do come on their own CD, but just like the system recovery CDs which they send which allow you to start fresh, I feared that they would only work on Dell systems. Thanks very much for clearing this up for me. I hope to raise enough money myself to build a very nice computer in the next two years... I will of course salvage some good parts from my current computer to save money. Thanks! :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome :whistling: