Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Date and time reset each restart

• Please log in to reply

beak280

beak280

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Every time I turn on my computer, the date and time reset to 12am on January 1, 2001. This is not a huge problem but I can use system restore and it affects outlook and media player. If anyone has any ideas on what this could be, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
YES!!!! there is a system battery on your motherboard that keeps track of these settings...
Ever wonder how your computer always knows the time and date? well when you shut it down, even unplug it, there is a little watch like battery on the motherboard (slightly bigger).

In most cases they hardly ever go bad, but sometimes they need to be replaced.

Unplug all power from your machine, touch the outside of the case to release your static, open up the case, look inside probably towards bottom of the pc for this battery on the board somewhere, it should be able to pop out with a lever or something inside the case...

Take it to your local street store like Eckerd or CVS and let them match it with a new one.

If you have a laptop, this may be more complicated.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 02 August 2006 - 06:41 PM.

beak280

beak280

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the helph