Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any ideas for components for a cheap gaming computer that i could buy

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Yea.... im planing on building a new PC... but i dont want to spend too much money.... i also plan to install Windows Vista on it.... any ideas for parts???? plz list the parts and the prices plz!!! thx!

Advertisements

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
what is ur budget, will it be a HIGH performance, or just medium settings games? and i wouldnt go with Vista just yet. its first release, its bound to have some problems with it.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Well my budget is around $500 and no not really high performance.... because its for my mom and she doesnt use it for much except for games and internet.... but i do want HD space on it cuz i want to make that machine a storeing device.... and since my mom wnot do anything wierd (eg: download stuff) it wont get any viruses....

Thx for reply!

P.S. are u stalking me???

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
im sry wat? im stalking u?......wat does that mean?

anywayz if ur not gonna be do any major gaming would u be comfortable with a mobo that comes with a video card?

this mobo has onboard 6100
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813138027
this is like $80
and you can put an athlon 64 3500+ AM2 $90
it also comes with onboard sound.
and you can get an Antec SmartPower 400Watt which is $57

and ifu want storage right now u can get a 250GB sata 3.0gb fpr $80, or you can get 2 of those.

oh and for ram, just get 2x512MB dual channel of any one of these companies: OCZ, G.Skill, Crucial, Corsair, Patriot, Mushkin. it doesnt matter if its value or not, or has a heat spreader or not, heat spreaders i think are mostly used to make a computer look good, it doesnt do much towards dissipating heat, it just looks good.

and as for an optical drive, just go with w/e u want, i prefer the NEC 3550A only cause it seems to be the standard nowadays, lol.

and as for case, just look for something with a good design and air flow, on ur budget, jnust go with a CoolerMaster Centurion. i prefer the silver one, but they have it in blue as well.

Edited by Tru Techie, 04 August 2006 - 08:46 AM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Thx but i already like ordered that mobo..... and the processor that it uses..(someone PMed me) thx. for the ideas!