Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan.StartPage (Symantec)

• Please log in to reply

75alive

75alive

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have tried several ways to clean a Trojan.StartPage variant from a Windows 2000 machine. Symantec Corp Edition AV detects the virus, quarantines the file(s), but the effect persists. Next time I-Explorer starts, I get the AV warning (file quarantined, and an error message that "se.dll" cannot be found, but the home page has been hijacked, and several fake warnings about security pop up over a search screen.
Following the instructions from Symantec Symantec Trojan.StartPage.M I tried running in safe mode while fixing the registry, and found that after I saved the registry, then reopened it, the changes had been undone. I suspect a process that is running is recontaminating the registry. Can anyone suggest a way to identify and kill the offending process, and complete the fix of the registry? Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Assuminmg you've followed the instructions at the top of the forum in the pinned thread, please download a copy of hijackthis and post a log.

http://www.spywarein.../downloads.html