Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Girls Want Tech Items, Not Diamonds?

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
According to this story, women prefer technology over diamonds, vacations and even shoes! :blink:

The study found 77 percent of women surveyed would prefer a new plasma television to a diamond solitaire necklace and 56 percent would opt for a new plasma TV over a weekend vacation in Florida.

Even shoes lost out. The study found 86 percent would prefer a new digital video camera to a pair of designer shoes.

My wife, and her friends do NOT fall in that category, are there really that many that do? :whistling:

Advertisements

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Nah! I don't believe it. I do believe the stats about owning tech stuff though and I think we've become so used to the rest that we don't even think about having it anymore like they're no longer special items but necessities ... a bit like the shopping list: milk, juice, bananas, cereal, shoes, tissues, etc.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Personally, I would rather have a gift card for NewEgg than a fancy dept. store, but the kids always need clothes. I am the kind of woman who wears jeans and whatever is on top of the laundry basket. My idea of a dream vacation is camping in a woods in the mountains, and a nightmare vacation would be going to the city, any city and especially if there is flying. I'm not crazy about eating in restaurants and staying in hotels. I hate shopping, and do as much as I can online. Living relatively simply has enabled our family to have a stay at home mom for the last six years. (Hmmm..or is it that because we can't afford the cost of child care?)

Incidentally, I'm going to a family reunion this weekend and taking my cell phone, my broadband enabled laptop, my digital camera, a flash drive, an MP3 player for the car ride, two kids and a 14 year old Oldsmobile with no AC any more. It took me an hour today to make sure everything was charged up and gather all the cords I need, and it will take me less than 20 minutes to pack for a week for me and the kids, tomorrow. There isn't anything wrong with my computer, but I'd rather have a new one than a diamond necklace. So, yep, put me down as "normal" or "average". It may be a first.
Johanna

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I'll be honest, I've never understood the shoe thing - I don't care about designer shoes, and yes, I'd much rather have technology. I'm changing cell providers soon and would like a Treo so I can get my email all the time and have some limited web access (have to feed my addiction :whistling: ). A weekend vacation in Florida would be too short anyway, and you'd get more use from the plasma TV. In the past year, my husband suddenly went on a jewelry buying spree, and while I love everything he got me, I'm a stay at home mom, like Johanna, so how often do I really get to wear any of it? I'd love a laptop with a broadband card though!

Now, I don't know if Johanna and I count - we are, after all, members of a site called Geeks to Go - our geek factor is probably higher than a lot of women. :blink: More RAM is sexier than more jewelry anyday!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Even shoes lost out. The study found 86 percent would prefer a new digital video camera to a pair of designer shoes.

deffinitely not how it works in Val's house

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
That right there ladies and gentlemen is why Geek women are the sexiest kind.

Kudos ladies!

ScHwErV :whistling:

skate_punk_21

skate_punk_21

Malware Removal Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 1,049 posts

Now, I don't know if Johanna and I count - we are, after all, members of a site called Geeks to Go - our geek factor is probably higher than a lot of women. laughing.gif More RAM is sexier than more jewelry anyday!

*skate_punk_21 dazzles sari with his massive RAM collection. More then even therock247uk :whistling:

Edited by skate_punk_21, 03 August 2006 - 08:01 AM.

therock247uk

therock247uk

Expert

• Expert
  • 14,672 posts
  • MVP

That right there ladies and gentlemen is why Geek women are the sexiest kind.

*therock247uk nods

*skate_punk_21 dazzles sari with his massive RAM collection. More then even therock247uk

!!!

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
My wife is like that. She's been wanting a HDTV for a while, but we can't really afford it while the chil'en are growing so fast. I think if she was offered either a $2000 TV or a $2000 necklace, she would go for the TV. You can watch TV all the time, but how often do you really wear a $2k necklace?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
That study must have been given out over the internet... to women who spend time on the internet... My wife (who is rarely on the internet for anything other than her Live Big Brother feed, or PopCap games) just bought another pair of shoes last week... Our closet has so many female shoes in it ... that I cant even get to my clothes without having to move shoes out of the way.. and these are shoes that I haven't even see her wear in the last couple years... (but they are still nearly brand new). In fact she has a different pair of running shoes for everyday of the week that she goes to the gym - her excuse: they have to match the workout outfit she is wearing.

It may be just me, but when I was a kid growing up I got a new pair of shoes every year before school started and that was it. Now days I have a pair of shoes I wear to work, a pair of shoes I wear outside of work, and a pair of slippers I wear to take out the trash in.

As for technological purchases, she would probably make me sleep in the kids' rooms' if i brought home a new 2000$ tv, over a 2000$ piece of jewelry. But in all reality the jewelry would get stuck in the back of the closet and never get worn and the TV would get watched every day, but still I would catch flak over having bought it, instead of geting that fancy Bollova watch <---- I think I have already been down this road and im just venting in here. sorry.

teamgrowth

teamgrowth

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I too think plasma TV is no longer a special item these days, I guess the survey has been done on particular demographics targeting to a middle class society, that is the reason 77 percent of them preferred a new Plasma TV.

PeachesCA

PeachesCA

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
I'm guilty of this, too. :whistling: I love tech stuff over everything. My want lists always consist of tech items. I'm looking at getting a broadband card for my laptop, soon, too. I always feel the need to be connected and when I can't with my computer, I'm on my cellphone or pda checking my IM or email.

I think it depends on the kind of woman--if you're geeky, you're gonna want geek items over diamonds. Geek items are much more practical and will gain a lot more use than diamonds. However, I have a husband that knows what I like--he will get me a diamond ring I can wear on other fingers, a diamond pendant necklace that is so simple it can be worn every day, etc.

I love designer handbags as much as the next girl, but I much prefer tech stuff. I was given a giftcard by a client recently that had a large balance on it. It's for a department store and I just really don't know what I'm going to buy...I wish it was for Best Buy or Amazon. Oh well. :blink:

Suzilyn

Suzilyn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I also prefer Tech and Tools over jewelry and clothes. When my husband, before we got married, offered to buy me an engagement ring, I told him I wanted the new 2 wheel wheelbarrow. I got it! I enjoy Tech things. I have started learning to repair PDA's and I have built two computers. I also can repair most computers.