Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zone Alarm Firewall

• Please log in to reply

Ernie S

Ernie S

• Pip
  • 6 posts
[font=Times New Roman]Hello everyone: I was installing the latest update offered by Zone Alarm a few days ago when I had a power failure (no UPS!) As a result, Zone Alarm will not run, nor can I re-install my version 5.0 original disk, nor can I uninstall what was there. There are two error messages coming up, "Validation failed for C|\windows|system32|zone labs\SSLEAY32.dll" and "Validation failed for C|\windows|system32|vsdata.dll" I have tried deleting all the contents of my zone alarm folder (had to go into safe mode and administrator to do that) and I have edited the registry to remove all obvious traces of zone alarm. I would really like to use Zone Alarm again because I feel it is just that bit better than the Windows Firewall. :whistling:
Thanks, Ernie S

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and save this

http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/

Install it when you get the license key

If you use search, include hidden and system files, what results do you get for zonelabs

Ernie S

Ernie S

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Download and save this

http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/

Install it when you get the license key

If you use search, include hidden and system files, what results do you get for zonelabs

Keith - just : Folder zonelabs (contains some files which I expect but which do not work)
couple of cookies
"Recent" file list contains three cookies and a copy of the zonelabs folder above - same contents.
Nothing older than 30th july 06 which is when my problem started.

I have no problem downloading the designated file but I have no licence key - mine is the free for home use only version. Does that make a difference?
Ernie S.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you download and save the Comodo file, when you put your e-mail address etc, that's where they will send the license key for it

Download and install Unlocker from my signature, install with the add to context menu and unlocker assistant options, reboot

Right click the zonelabs file, click unlocker, choose delete, confirm

You may need to reboot and check the folder has gone, then you could run disc clean up to remove the cookies and then try installing zone alarm

Try Comodo though and see how you get on with it

Ernie S

Ernie S

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If you download and save the Comodo file, when you put your e-mail address etc, that's where they will send the license key for it

Download and install Unlocker from my signature, install with the add to context menu and unlocker assistant options, reboot

You may need to reboot and check the folder has gone, then you could run disc clean up to remove the cookies and then try installing zone alarm

Ernie S

Ernie S

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Many thanks, Keith: I have downloaded Comodo - it looks OK, certainly it makes me invisible again!
I will try the unlocker shortly and get back to you if there is a problem.
Regards,
ernie S

Ernie S

Ernie S

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Many thanks, Keith: I have downloaded Comodo - it looks OK, certainly it makes me invisible again!
Regards,
ernie S

Ernie S

Ernie S

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Regards,
ernie S