Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse Settings

• Please log in to reply

howe2

howe2

• Pip
  • 8 posts
This is really odd (to me). Whenever I reboot, start up from sleep mode or switch users on the computer, the mouse settings change. Going in to Control Panel shows the settings have NOT changed, but to use my left-handed mouse settings, I have to go in to control panel every single time I log on. Now my daughter tells me when she logs in she gets the same error. (same computer)

I'm totally clueless on where to even start to search for a solution...

Ideas?
:whistling:

Thanks!

L

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Hmm this is an intresting one... My best random guess is to try 2 things...

#1 check your system date and time in windows, make sure it corrresponds to our current date/time. If not then you need a watch size battery replaced on your mother board, which saves settings of date/time and some motherboard settings as well. However in my personal opinion I highly believe it has not much to do with the mouse.

#2 Try making the change to the mouses settings, then immediatly thereafter, restarting your computer (restarting your pc always saves the users current settings so in theory it should work).

#3 What type of mouse is it? Optical, Wheel? Is it a USB or SERIAL? What brand is it, generic or special? look on bottom of the mouse to see the brand.

Some mice have white tales but are a non generic brand and actually have their own software that controls them. If you provide me with brand name, I can look it up and see. If this doesnt make sense, lets just say, microsofts mouse settins may not be able to control your mouses settings, so perhaps there is a control panel provided by the manufacturer of your mouse that can and will save and control its settings :whistling:

howe2

howe2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks. . . I'll check the 1st 2 out momentarily.
re #3: It's a Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A PS/2 Compatible from Gateway (which is what came with the pc and has a little Gateway logo on the mouse itself.

Thank you again. We have a storm rolling in (I just heard the thunder) so will be shutting down and get back to this later (or tomorrow)

L

howe2

howe2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
2 storms later, I'm finally getting back on-line.
System Date & Time is fine -
I checked the control panel settings, rebooted, etc. and nothing changes. I did, however, reboot in to Safe Mode and the mouse settings were correct. Once re-booting in the Windows, the mouse settings changed... again...
Something very odd, you might say.
Thanks for the suggestions!