Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

re-install XP less than 60 days

• Please log in to reply

arniej

arniej

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I installed a new disk in my desk top computer as the exiosting disk was starting to sound funny. I installed XP pro OEM version on the new disk. This is the same XP disk that I had used two years ago. After running for about two weeks the new disk quit. Question: How do I get around the "60 day wait" associated with installing XP?
Thanks

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I dont exactly know what you mean....

But when you install a new copy of windows xp on a fresh hard drive, in most cases you have to activate the WINDOWS online or else after a certian amount of days it will lock you out of the system.

Also there are demo versions of XP and WIN 2003, each of these are the full blown copy of windows, but they only allow you use for 60 days then you must buy a proper key...

If you have a proper key then let us know if you used it during instalation. Or in the past when you had installed it 2 years ago, did you purchase a key or did one come with the cd?

arniej

arniej

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I dont exactly know what you mean....

But when you install a new copy of windows xp on a fresh hard drive, in most cases you have to activate the WINDOWS online or else after a certian amount of days it will lock you out of the system.

Also there are demo versions of XP and WIN 2003, each of these are the full blown copy of windows, but they only allow you use for 60 days then you must buy a proper key...

If you have a proper key then let us know if you used it during instalation. Or in the past when you had installed it 2 years ago, did you purchase a key or did one come with the cd?

++++
When I installed XP windows two years ago, I used an OEM disk which I had purchased at the same time as I purchased the hard drive. I used the XP key which came with XP CD. When I installed XP a few weeks ago on a new hard drive I used the same XP CD with the same product key. In both cases I activated windows.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
how do u activate windows exactly? just go to like winodws update or someting?

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
No, usually it does it by itself connecting to the internet, sometimes you see it, sometimes you dont, its microsofts lil cia agent in your machine :whistling:

So what do you mean by 60 days then? I mean 60 days till what, what does it say happens in 60 days? windows expires or what? I just dont understand exactly what you are saying. I reccomend though you update your windows via windows update...

arniej

arniej

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

how do u activate windows exactly? just go to like winodws update or someting?

++++
You are given a prompt which takes you to MS. You do not have to register to activate.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ok activation is automatically done, windows connects to internet and auto activates ( checks your key to see its valid, as well as not installed on multiple machines )

Registration is different and you dont have to do that at all...

Im still puzzled about the 60 days thing, could you please screen shot the message so I can see what it says?

arniej

arniej

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

No, usually it does it by itself connecting to the internet, sometimes you see it, sometimes you dont, its microsofts lil cia agent in your machine :whistling:

So what do you mean by 60 days then? I mean 60 days till what, what does it say happens in 60 days? windows expires or what? I just dont understand exactly what you are saying. I reccomend though you update your windows via windows update...

++++
You cannot use the same OEM disk twice in less than 60 days. It appears this is to stop people from using the same disk on multiple systems.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Well actually, if you use the same disc OEM or not, unless it comes factory with a dell or hp or something and knows your computers keys, then you cant use the same keycode again usually if microsoft thinks it is still registered...

Im still not understanding the 60day message though. I mean literally does windows just start up and a window says "60 days" cause that might be like bill gates way of playing "the rings 7 days" on you or something...

No seriously though... does it say "60 days till you need to activate?" 60 days of what or till what, can you please tell me that?

I have installed xp before on my dell after reformatting and the cd/key would not work, and I would have to call microsoft to activate my windows, and I would have to tell the person over phone that I was simply reinstalling it because of a virus, then tech support person generates you another keycode after veryfying your reason for installing it again... And if I didnt call them to do this, it would lock me out of windows in like 30 days...

Sometimes you have to go that route, and they just want to make sure you are not putting the same one on multiple pcs, because microsoft is very very poor and they could use the extra cash...

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 03 August 2006 - 08:18 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

You cannot use the same OEM disk twice in less than 60 days. It appears this is to stop people from using the same disk on multiple systems.

right because xp is licensed for one machine...how many machines is this copy of windows currently installed on?

arniej

arniej

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

right because xp is licensed for one machine...how many machines is this copy of windows currently installed on?

++++
Zero! But it was installed on a system that crashed.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What do you get if you click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, activate windows

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

++++

You can use the disk as many times as you want on as many systems as you like (it's not the physical disk that's the issue - it's the Product Code).
You can use the code as many times as you want as well (providing you only use the code on the machine that it came with, that is).
There is no "60 day limit" or whatever. Just install it as normal, go to activate online and if it doesn't go through, call Microsoft. What usually happens is you speak to somebody on the first activation and then on the second you get an automated 42 digit code. Failing that, you'll just speak to somebody.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Not entirely true... you can install it on as many systems as youd like, but if you dont activate it can expire, some have 3 days, some 30 and I have a full blown win server 2003 trial that simply expires after 60 days :whistling:...

Ive seen systems locked out because they didnt activate and a single copy was installed on multi machines :help:, the key is always the same, but the key checks online for previous instalations via another code, and if it finds thus... you will have to call microsoft yes, like I said above, most of time just call them, tell them you formatted your pc for issues and they will generate you a new one... :blink:

arniej

arniej

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

++++

You can use the disk as many times as you want on as many systems as you like (it's not the physical disk that's the issue - it's the Product Code).
You can use the code as many times as you want as well (providing you only use the code on the machine that it came with, that is).
There is no "60 day limit" or whatever. Just install it as normal, go to activate online and if it doesn't go through, call Microsoft. What usually happens is you speak to somebody on the first activation and then on the second you get an automated 42 digit code. Failing that, you'll just speak to somebody.

+++ho gave me the code.Thank you to everyone. The above suggestion worked, I ended up speaking to a MS person wo