Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Load error!-HiJack fix

• Please log in to reply

joesjeps

joesjeps

• Pip
  • 9 posts
New thread on the same problem. First, thanks for the help with the Hijack program. Unfortunately I cannot run Hijack from affected machine as it won't boot into Windows. Only get the load error message. I downloaded Hijack to a floppy from another machine and tried it. The screen at boot up reads "non-system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready". I then used my Windows 98 start up floppy to get into DOS with the A prompt and tried to run Hijack from there. Message came up "program cannot be run in DOS mode" Machine will not boot into Windows without the floppy or rescue CD and then only goes into DOS with A prompt awaiting a command. Will not run in safe mode. Any ideas?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'll bite....

Reboot. while the computer is counting up memory, tap (once every second) the F8 key at the top of your keyboard.

You should get a startup menu....choose step by step confirmation (choice 5, I think--been a long time since I saw a windows 98 machine).

Keep saying YES (Y) until it fails. Report at what step it fails

joesjeps

joesjeps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the response. Unfortuately it only repeated the message.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you boot with a floppy, can you switch to the c: drive?

joesjeps

joesjeps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When I get the A prompt in DOS, I can change drives. I've run the Dell diagnostics and Norton A/V from the disk drive and they report no problems. I can get the C drive, but am at a loss for a command. Thanks, J

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
run an in-place windows repair.

Simply run setup from the window98 cd, and install to the same directory where windows currently is installed (default is c:\windows)

joesjeps

joesjeps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, I tried it and got bad command or file name.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Something not right here, Joe.

Let's back up.... I don't think I made myself clear.

First, let's get this out of the way. Do you know if your computer will boot to CD?

This setting is found in BIOS, and works with all modern atapi ide drives.

If so, that will make things much easier

joesjeps

joesjeps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've switched the boot seqence in BIOS and reformattted with the Windows recovery disk, got a message that it was a success, rebooted and the same message comes up. I've run my Dell diagnostics CD and it reports no problems as well as Norton A/V and utilities. I ran the repair floppy for the hard drive and it also reports no problems.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what is the load error you are getting?

joesjeps

joesjeps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
"load error! press any key to reboot", doing so only repeats the error message.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I want you to do two things. DO one, and then reboot to see if it works.

If not do the other.

Get yourself a windows 98 boot disk and boot to an a:\> prompt.

Type fdisk
if dos asks you if you want to use large disk support say yes.

When you get to the menu, choose 2) follow the sequence to make your first partition active.

Reboot without floppy.

Work? If no, reboot with floppy

At a:\ prompt, type

fdisk /mbr

follow prompts, reboot.

These are non-destructive options (you are not formatting or repartitioning.)

joesjeps

joesjeps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the info. I tried and they did not work. I am up and running now after I formatted using the PCbeginner disc and reinstalling Windows. Apparently the formatting with the Windows recovery CD was not thorough enough to erase the offending file since it took only a second or two and the error message always returned after reloading Windows. The formatting through the other disc took several minutes and then I reinstalled Windows and it booted up normally. Thanks to everyone who tried to help, especially gerryf, thanks again.