Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Port problem

• Please log in to reply

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I have a problem with a computer not recognizing USB devices. When I plug in a USB thumb drive, the computer makes the chime that a hardware device is connected, but nevershows up in my computer or pops up the install new hardware wizard. It does the same thing for other USB devices. I can't figure out what the problem is. I know its not the USB thumb drive because the devices I have tried work in other computers fine. I checked in device manager for conflicts in the USB host controller and it said it was working properly. The computer is running XP Pro. Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are all of the usb devices you're trying thumb drives? (usb storage?)
if so...plug it in and right click on my computer > manage > disk management > does the drive show up there?

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
yes it did show up there... and thats where I fixed the problem. For some reason the thumb drive was trying to use the same drive letter as a network drive... changed the letter and it showed up in my computer... problem solved.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got a few pc's here at work (like...3 out of 100) that no matter what usb drive you plug in...it wont' assign a drive letter..or it tries to assign one that's in use...no explanation for it...i've even gone as far as formatting and reinstalling on one...and it worked for a little while..but then started back up with the same response...once i go in and assign the thing a letter...any time they plug THAT usb drive in...it get's that letter...so i don't worry about it too badly...though would be nice to know why it does it....

glad you got yours working