Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer still making a wierd noise

• Please log in to reply

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi Everyone
I recently had my hard drive replaced but when I switched on the pc it made a noise like there was no disk in the drive so I asked you if this was normal. The advice I got was if it wasn't making this noise before I had the HDD replaced then to phone and tell them this.Well I phoned PC world (where I bought the pc and extended warrantly) and they advised I take the pc into them for a service and to find out the cause of the noise. I picked up the pc and told them it was still making this noise. So they sent someone out and replaced the hard drive again. I asked what the cause of the noise was and he just said it was a faulty hard disk drive. The guy left leaving me to install windows and restart the pc and it's still making this noise while the computer is starting up. My son said it's always made that noise so I thought it was me expecting too much. Tonight, three days after the hard drive as been replaced my son hears the computer start up and says "it doesn't normally make that much noise".
The computer is working ok, just this noise when it starts up and while it installs any thing. I don't want to keep complaining but if it is a fault and keeps wearing and tearing on the pc I want it fixed now!!!
What are your thoughts on this ???

Thanks
Elaine

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it could just be a very loud hard drive...some are louder than others (i've had a few that sounded like jet's taking off) does it sound like a normal hard drive noise just louder than other people's computers? are you noticing any other problems? like the computer running slower or things locking up or anything like that? does it make the noise ALL the time or just when you start the computer and do something that would make the harddrive work?

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi dsenette
Thankyou for your help.
It does sound like a normal hard drive noise and there are no other problems. It only makes the noise when the computer starts or the hard drive is working .
Thanks
Elaine

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it could just be a really loud hard drive...i wonder if pcworld would be willing to replace it with a different make and model of the same specifications?...there is always a chance that it could be a bum HD but...i doubt you'd go through that many...and if you did..then there's either something wrong at pcworld...or your motherboard is doing bad things to these drives...not likely for either of those...

if you go the route of getting it serviced underwarranty again...you'll want to get them to do more than replace the hard drive with the same kind of hard drive...i'd push pretty hard for a different make and model and get them to do whatever tests they can on the rest of your system...like the motherboard and what not

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi dsenette
Thanks for the advice.
Elaine