Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win98se boot problem

• Please log in to reply

ddlong131

ddlong131

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I try to start or restart, this machine will proceed past POST and configuration screens, past W98 screen and will display wallpaper, but will not load task bar or desktop icons. It just stops at that point. CTRL-ALT-DEL shows two tasks, RUNONCE and HIDSERV, By doing an End Task on both of these, the machine will load the task bar and icons, but then I get a separate Fatal Error box for each of the startup items in the SysTray. All other apps will launch, but then will not close successfully without doing an End Task.

Similar results when starting in Safe Mode. Boot proceeds to the same point and CTRL-ALT-DEL shows RUNONCE only. By doing an End Task, the icons will then load.

I know there's a bunch of adware and/or malware on this machine, but I can't get AdAware to complete successfully, even in Safe Mode. It completes its scan, I select all, it days Deleting... and then it hangs and never completes the removal process.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on how to proceed from here. Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like whatever's gone on that computer has well and truely stuffed up the Windows on it. As a general rule, if a computer doesn't work properly in Safe Mode, it's got a serious Windows issue.

It would be far quicker to just wipe it and put Windows back on, as you've got issues with the very heart of Windows itself that once they start, and rather than fix them, you may as well just wipe the lot and that'll get shot of the internal problems AND the malware all in one.