Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Stop: 0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error

• Please log in to reply

Cybertrex

Cybertrex

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My friend has a Toshiba Satellite 2595xDVD laptop with Windows2000. She said she installed a AOL upgrade she downloaded and when she was prompted to reboot she gets this error. The Windows2000 splash screen appears with the Windows loading progress bar underneath. The bar loads about 60% and just grinds for about 30 seconds before getting the Stop Error. My research has suggested a possible boot sector virus or a controller problem. She is unable to load Windows in Safe Mode. When booting with a system disk. The C: prompt gives "Invalid drive specification" error. The "C" drive doesn't seem to be recognized.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Cybertrex

Advertisements

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
here's what ms has to say....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883114

Cybertrex

Cybertrex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The link you provided refers to:

"STOP 0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error message when you use a USB CD-ROM device to install Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000"

I'm not installing Windows 2000 or using a USB device to install.

Cybertrex

Cybertrex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've recently found some more MS Support pages that have several causes to this error specific to Win2000. Installing or uninstalling this or that can be a factor in the problem (error message) but nothing that's a match to the AOL install. My friend's laptop originally came with Win98. The articles require a Win2000 startup disk which she doesn't have.

It's turning into a wild goose chase.

Edited by Cybertrex, 03 August 2006 - 10:11 PM.

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
if she doesn't have the install disk, you may be out of luck. That error is usually pertaining to a bad boot sector that needs to be rebuilt, and that can be difficult without the disk. Running chkdsk on it would be an option; can you at least boot to dos?

Here are a few more ms options.
http://support.micro...=122926&sd=RMVP

Good luck.