Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! My Windows XP will not boot

• Please log in to reply

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
http://www.kellys-ko...om/xp_sys32.htm
read through this, it might solve your problem
press r where you would press enter to get into the recovery console

Advertisements

andrew508

andrew508

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
is there a way for me to get the info off my harddrive? and then completely re do the windows setup and all the drivers?

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
you mean format it so you lose all your data
unless you have another hard drive (internal or external) you can't move big amounts of data
you could use a usb stick but i doubt it would hold all your data you want unless you went back and forth from two machines copying and pasting
have you tried the http://www.kellys-ko...om/xp_sys32.htm article
doing this means you won't lose your data. unless the hard drive fails, which is extremely unlikely you won't lose your data
if you have another computer i would put your current hard drive in that machine, but it sounds like you don't no much about that stuff (no offense)
basically it would be better if you did the guide and see where you get, but you won't lose the my documents data

to get into the recovery console press r, then press 1 as the installation number, then leave admin password blank unless you have changed this (note this is the "real" admin password, one that you don't see in the users part of xp)
to change directory enter cd c:\windows

andrew508

andrew508

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
all right it worked, thanks for all your help.

the only thing is that the screen is not filling out, it is like half the size it should be. Any idea how to fix this?

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
so one side is black? or the resolution is lower than normal
you can change this by right clicking on the desktop background, then click properties, then click settings on the tabs at the top, where it says screen resolution change it to either 1024x768 or 1240x1024 (if you can change it to 1240x1024)

andrew508

andrew508

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
it won't give me any other options besides Medium (16 bit)

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
so the other options are greyed out? what do you normally have the resolution at, if you know?

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
plus what does the resolution say

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
http://ask-leo.com/w...ion_option.html
this will probably solve your problem

andrew508

andrew508

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
the problem is that I lost some but not all of my drivers when I did the repair. When I try to reinstall the drivers needed(video and modem) it won't let them download. I tried to install a cd recorder program and it wouldn't let me. I somehow lost the install file or something.

I just need to get the info off the hard drive, I have the same exact laptop that I am on now but don't know without instructions how to switch it over.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
1. when you say video drivers you mean the display?
2. why do you need to reinstall the display driver, if it isn't installed you won't be able to see anything, surely?
3. can you connect to the internet, if so you don't need to reinstall the modem. if you can't do you have any software for it.
4. what do you mean "it won't let them download", no drivers should be downloaded (from the internet)
5. if you have access to the internet, download the free version of nero

Edited by scott452, 09 August 2006 - 06:43 AM.

andrew508

andrew508

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I can't reinstall the modem or video drivers or even download a CD burner program its like the install engine(or what ever allows the computer to download and install programs) is gone or not working properly. My resolution is messed up because the computer is not recognizing what the monitor is and the proper resolution, and no I can't get online.

I have the exact same computer that I am on now, can you give me directions on removing the hard drive and putting it in this one so that I can remove the files I need?

I appreciate your help, I know it must be aggrivating for you.

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
1. If you can't get online you won't be able to download anything. I think your saying the program that installs the program isn't working so even if you have a program install file, you can't install it, right?. I assume before you did the http://www.kellys-ko...om/xp_sys32.htm you could install programs fine?
2. Go to start menu, right click My Computer, click properties, go to the hardware tab, click device manager. Are there any yellow exclamation icons. If there are right click on them and uninstall them, then restart. If there aren't find the modem driver and uninstall that and restart.
3. I still don't understand why your trying to reinstall the video drivers, you must be able to see your screen
4. I never removed a laptop hard drive, only a pc (tower) hard drive, although they should be the same, it will probably be pretty fidely. You can't have two hard drives in a latop, not enough space.
5. If you have a network cable you could create a network between the two laptops and transfer files to your other laptop.
6. With the screen resolution have you tried http://ask-leo.com/w...ion_option.html. If so what happened.

You're gonna need to be more specific for me to understand exactly what is going on :whistling:

Scott