Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Battery/charger problem

• Please log in to reply

bdh359

bdh359

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have an IBM Thinkpad 2384 with a lithium ion battery.
I usually run it using the ac adapter and from what I understood this is not a problem for the battery.
Lately however, the charge indicator does not light up and my battery is slowly losing its charge - but the adapter is working fine.
Dumb question, but does this mean my battery is dying or does this mean my charger is not working? I would hate to spend the money on a new battery only to find out its the charger that is the problem, and i would hate to spend the money on a new adapter if its the batery.

Thanks

Advertisements

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
how long have u had the battery? and did u buy it retail?

bdh359

bdh359

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
It is the battery that came with the thinkpad. My husband purchased it two years ago directly from IBM

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
have u had a power surge recently? a storm of any sort? a blackout?

because i doubt that the battery is dying. its new, i have a camera thats been usign the same lith ion battery for 6 years, and its doing fine. lithium ion batteries dont begin to lose power that soon, unless of course if any of the above happened.

bdh359

bdh359

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
yes, we did have a blackout. how would that prevent the battery from charging?

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
that wouldnt prevent the battery from charging, it would just fry the battery, making it utterly useless. this is where the use of UPS, and Surge Protectors come in. if ur AC adapter is working. then the most likely culprit was the blackout. did this begin after the blackout? have u recharged the battery after it?

bdh359

bdh359

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
the battery recharges whenever the ac adapter is in - which is most of the time. I can't say when the last time it recharged was, I just happen to notice that the little battery icon shows that it is only 60% (it was at 62% yesterday) and I also notice that the "charging" indicator isn't lit. We had a black out last week - for about three hours.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Allow the laptop to run the battery flat without ac adapter and then connect ac adapter to recharge, if battery fails to charge, suspect the battery,especially if laptop continues to run on ac adapter.
It could also be a switch connection failure within the laptop power socket that automatically connects either to ac or to the battery