Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering Data from Crashed Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

jdzcool

jdzcool

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a WD 120 gb hard drive that i had installed as a second drive in my win xp system. I had patritioned it into 2 60 gb partitions, and used one to store music files, and the other to download some school courses. after some time, my pc failed to see the drive, and i was unable to access any of the content that was on it.
Idisconnected the first hd from my system, andhooked up the wd drive to ide 1 and when i booted the system and the pc tried to access the drive i could hear a lot of grinding, scraping noises. I was still not able to access anything on the drive, and i am assuming that the drive heads have made contact with the drive surface, and is no good. Now my question is, is there any way that i could recover data from this drive, or is the data lost if heads touch the surface?
Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you've had a physical failure such as the heads comming loose or one of the read arms breaking...then the only way to recover the data would be to send the drive to a datarecovery company that could physically take the drive apart and read the data off after reconstructing it (or putting it on one of their snazzy tools in a cleanroom)...that obviously isn't cheap...the cheapest i've seen was aroud 600 bucks..

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
if ur drive is just dead. you could always try freezing it. seemed to work for the few people that have tried it. put it in a bag, suck all the air out and close it. put it in the freezer for 30+ mins, then hook it up, and you should have some time to retreive all the data.

jdzcool

jdzcool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

if ur drive is just dead. you could always try freezing it. seemed to work for the few people that have tried it. put it in a bag, suck all the air out and close it. put it in the freezer for 30+ mins, then hook it up, and you should have some time to retreive all the data.

I have tried this trick to no avail, even though the bios was able to see the drive, I was not able to access any thing on it.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
im not really supporting this, and im not sure if this IS legal or not. i dont see why it would be illegal. but on this other forum, there was this guy who had to recover important business information, so wat he did was, first he practiced this on used old hard drives just to get it right. he took out the platters out of the disfunctoinal hard drive, and put them in the casing of a functional hard drive. if the mods allow me 2. i could look for it, and give u the link.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

im not really supporting this, and im not sure if this IS legal or not. i dont see why it would be illegal. but on this other forum, there was this guy who had to recover important business information, so wat he did was, first he practiced this on used old hard drives just to get it right. he took out the platters out of the disfunctoinal hard drive, and put them in the casing of a functional hard drive. if the mods allow me 2. i could look for it, and give u the link.

this isn't illegal...but it's NOT suggested at all...at best you might get some info back...at worst you've just borked two drives.....if you wanna go fo it...you can...but keep in mind NO ONE AFFILIATED WITH THIS SITE CONDONE"S OR SUGGESTS THIS TASK if you try it...it's at your own risk