Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dig.com type site creation

• Please log in to reply

Carter Hayes

Carter Hayes

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi there people!

Well, I have used geekstogo for many comp probs in the past and thought I'd post a question on here in the hope that someone might be able to offer advice and or assistance.

Having set up a couple of e-commerce type sites and others as abit of fun in the past I have gained valuable knowledge of the internet and SEO etc etc and would like to set up what hopefully could be a big venture.

Anyway enough of that, to the point......

I would like to set up a site similar to Digg and reddit.com

I know they are a force to be reckoned with obviously! but without giving too much away the site I wish to create will work in a similar way to how those do ( I.e a voting system ) but the site content itself will in no way be similar to theirs.

Being no expert atall in proramming/coding I wondered if anyone out there knows what software/coding/language etc those sites use, and if and how easy it would be to re-produce something similar, but aimned at a very niche market.

Also any idea as to costs to hire someone to create te site for me, and any other tips/hints that might be of help.

Any help/advice/assistance would be great!

Thanks

:whistling:

Advertisements

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
I'm not sure but I think it's php/mysql powered. IMO your cheapest way would be through getacoder.com, or getafreelancer.com. You would ask for a "clone of site "...""; if you visit either of them you'll probably see a lot of people creating projects for myspace clones. But before you go on and create an account and make a project, I think you should get some more information on how those sites work (maybe even from the webmasters themselves, it costs nothing to ask!), which I cannot give you :whistling:. Good luck

Carter Hayes

Carter Hayes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
:whistling:

Thanks for the reply there dude!

Will do as much research as poss before I put up a project for bidding on.

If anyone else has any mor info, please reply also.

Thanks!